Build with MSVC for Windows on Arm

Pierrick Bouvier

Sep 22, 2022, 5:38:49 AM9/22/22
to v8-dev
Hello,

I'm currently investigating v8 build for Windows on Arm, for NodeJS project.
They are trying to update to latest version of v8, and a build error is present (using VS2019).

I was able to write a patch for v8, and I would like to upstream it (details in github issue).

Does building with msvc is still supported as of today? If no, NodeJS will have to live with this patch.
If yes, is there a build bot setup for this?

Thanks,
Pierrick

Jakob Kummerow

Sep 22, 2022, 8:40:39 AM9/22/22
to v8-dev
We support MSVC, though mostly on a best-effort basis, i.e. relying on community contributions in particular for non-standard build configurations.

We have buildbot coverage for MSVC on x64, not on ARM. I suspect that that'll remain that way, but it's not my decision to make.

+1 to upstreaming the patch. See https://v8.dev/docs/contribute for details.

Pierrick Bouvier

Sep 22, 2022, 9:01:53 AM9/22/22
to v8-dev
Thanks for your answer.

I'll upstream that then.

Pierrick Bouvier

Sep 23, 2022, 9:58:28 AM9/23/22
to v8-dev
I fixed all compilation errors found with MSVC 2019, for x64, and arm64.
Patches are here:

I'll suggest you as a reviewer. Who could we add in more?

Thanks a lot,
Pierrick

Pierrick Bouvier

Sep 23, 2022, 10:03:33 AM9/23/22
to v8-dev
I added some owners for concerned files. I Hope that's the right way to do it 👍