Palacios Virtual Machine Monitor Released By V3VEE Project

Peter Dinda

Dec 4, 2008, 4:57:20 PM12/4/08
to V3VEE Discussion
Palacios Virtual Machine Monitor Released By V3VEE Project

The V3VEE Project is pleased to announce the release of Palacios, a
new virtual machine monitor (VMM) that we hope will prove useful in
systems, architecture, and high performance computing research and
teaching. Palacios is BSD-licensed and available from v3vee.org.

Palacios is a "type I", non-paravirtualized VMM that makes extensive
use of the virtualization extensions in modern x86 processors, such as
AMD SVM and Intel VT. Palacios can be embedded into existing kernels,

including very small kernels. Thus far, Palacios has been embedded
into Sandia National Labs' Kitten high performance computing kernel
and the University of Maryland's GeekOS teaching kernel.

The V3VEE Project is a collaboration between Northwestern University
and the University of New Mexico, and is supported by NSF and DOE. It
is a community resource development project that is creating an open
source virtual machine monitor framework for modern architectures.