Installing Palacios on CentOS

Olivier Cantin

Mar 16, 2010, 4:34:01 PM3/16/10
to V3VEE Discussion, d...@pierre-olivier.com
We're a group of undergrad students from Laval University (Quebec
city, Quebec, Canada) working on a super-calculator (http://
www.clumeq.net/, http://www.sun.com/customers/index.xml?c=clumeq.xml).
We're trying to install the Palacios system along with CentOS has a
host on the nodes of our cluster. We are hopefull that it will enable
an adapted cluster management system to activate OSes on demand for
specific applications or else to run programs on the default system on
CentOS with 'no overhead'. We are awared that the light nature of the
default host Kitten and other features such as memory layout and
management are some keys of its performance and scalability. However,
we are willing to go ahead with the experience. We compiled the system
and obtained the static library (libv3vee.a) and we are now trying to
figure how the configurations files of the Kitten LWK interfaces
Palacios. We would like to implement the equivalent for CentOS.

Is it possible to put Palacios into the 2.6.18 linux kernel?
Do you have a patch file to modify and adapt that kernel?
When Palacios is installed, do we need to start it with manually or
does it start automatically?

Best regards!

Shih-Chi Chen

Mar 17, 2010, 6:57:35 PM3/17/10
to V3VEE Discussion
Hi Oliver,

we are also porting palacios to linux kernel. We are now porting it to
linux 2.6.32.8.

You can get more ideas from reading the palacios.c in kitten.
You will need to either call palacios_init or do module_init in linux
in order to start palacios.

We can exchange more information :)

Sincerely

Steven Chen