FILEDISK: Hard drives in Palacios Guests

Scott Levy

Apr 10, 2012, 2:36:03 PM4/10/12
to v3vee-de...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to boot a Palacios guest with a Hard drive and I'm not having
any luck. I've tried both FILEDISKs and TMPDISKs, but both result in
the same failure when the guest boots. The guest will hang at the end
of the boot process for several tens of seconds, and the I see:

ata2: lost interrupt (Status 0x50)
ata2.00: limiting speed to MWDMA:PIO2
ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 action 0x6 ...
ata2.00: failed command: READ DMA
ata2: soft resetting link
ata2.00: configured for PIO2
ata2.00: device reported invalid CHS sector 0
ata2: EH complete

This sequence repeats every 30 seconds or so.

For my FILEDISK attempts, the device configuration looks like:

<device class="FILEDISK" id="ATA0" writeable="1">
<path>/home/palacios_disk.data</path>
<frontend tag="ide">
<model>V3Vee ATA Drive</model>
<type>HD</type>
<bus_num>1</bus_num>
<drive_num>0</drive_num>
</frontend>
</device>

For my TMPDISK attempts, the device configuration looks like:

<device class="TMPDISK" id="ATA2">
<size>1</size>
<frontend tag="ide">
<model>V3Vee ATA Drive</model>
<type>HD</type>
<bus_num>1</bus_num>
<drive_num>0</drive_num>
</frontend>
</device>

Any thoughts? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Scott.

Scott Levy

Apr 12, 2012, 7:03:44 PM4/12/12
to v3vee-de...@googlegroups.com
It appears that only IDE bus 0 is supported. With a boot CD at 0:0 and
a FILEDISK 0:1, the guest will boot. The configuration of these two
devices looks like:

<device class="RAMDISK" id="CD0">
<file>boot-cd</file>
<frontend tag="ide">
<model>V3Vee CDROM</model>
<type>CDROM</type>
<bus_num>0</bus_num>

<drive_num>0</drive_num>
</frontend>
</device>

<device class="FILEDISK" id="ATA0">
<path>/guest_os.iso</path>

<frontend tag="ide">
<model>V3Vee ATA Drive</model>
<type>HD</type>

<bus_num>0</bus_num>
<drive_num>1</drive_num>
</frontend>
</device>

My question is: where is the FILEDISK in the guest? Naively, I expect
to find a device like /dev/hda that could be mounted. What I see is:

/dev/sda: LABEL="CDROM"
/dev/sr0: LABEL="CDROM"

And I'm not able to mount either device (e.g., "mount: mounting /dev/sda
on /home/foo failed: Invalid argument").

My goal is simply to get a guest running with some sort of readable
(and/or writeable) storage device. Perhaps I'm going about this all
wrong? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott.

Patrick G. Bridges

Apr 13, 2012, 9:18:41 AM4/13/12
to v3vee-de...@googlegroups.com
Scott, if you're around this morning, let's look at it together; I
have 10-12am set aside for Palacios hacking and this looks like
something we should sort out.

-Patrick