Fwd: May 2015 updates & news from GGE

ReKae Medina

May 8, 2015, 9:51:54 AM5/8/15
to ReKae Medina, Kevin 'KevSki' Joseph, Xen Medina, Master Born Love Allah, Bjorn Anselm aka Beonpnt, Victor Ramos aka Slone, Spiritchild, Desire aka Vitamin D, (Malika) Keryn Eliyse aka Coastal Ninja, Swiss Chris, George 'Esco' Escobar, (Malika) Anicka Oravcova aka Anna, Brett Stein, Walter 'Waldo Biggie' Perez, Omar 'DJOincredible' Olivares, DJ Chris Landry, Samuel McCausland aka MC Samael, Chad Harper aka Fam (Famus), Jose Martinez aka Jose Castillo, Prince Akeem, Chapter 9- Brooklyn, Vladimir Slaveykov aka Bamby Cool, Santiago Torres aka BBoy JoJo, DJ Chela, Jun Gaiya, Tony Navarro aka Don Tony, Trey aka Anthony, Rich 'Richie Rich' Rodriguez, Bone Skelatone/BBQ, Rayzer Sharp, The Legendary MIC, Tomeka R. Davis, Iz The Truth, Wayne Lacasse aka Mr. Quick, William Mackson aka Sidiki, Patrick Milord, Monica Medley, Big Bill, Knuckles aka John Rollins, Sara Ripp, DameOner, Six Starborn, Rithm, Quinton Counts, Chrisón Thompson, Casimiro Cabral, Jacob Pearce, XL, Serg, Kazembe Batts aka Kaz, DR.Unos&Dubs, Bri McMillen, Chuck Brown, CRUZ KONTROL, KeeLah Da Poet

From: Joanne Smith | GGENYC <me...@ggenyc.org>
Date: May 8, 2015 15:02:26 GMT+02:00
To: ninoespiritu@gmail. <ninoes...@gmail.com>
Subject: May 2015 updates & news from GGE

Sisters in Strength Graduation, Recap of #OurVoicesOurMovement Annual Youth Summit, and more!
View this email in your browser
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Donate

IN THIS ISSUE

Take Action!: Sisters in Strength Updates
 Recap: #OurVoicesOurMovment Youth Summit 2015

Sisters in Strength Graduation!

In June, our Sisters in Strength youth organizers graduate from the program. To celebrate these outstanding young women of color, we will host a Graduation. This event will celebrate their accomplishments, from completing the program to graduating from high school – and we need your support! With a gift or monetary donation, you can ensure that Sisters in Strength are  well prepared for their next steps as leaders!

Ways to Donate

All donations are tax deductible!

Purchase an item from our Wish List
This year, we have put together an Amazon wish list where supporters can purchase graduation gifts for Sisters in Strength. Items include bedding, desk lamps, weekly planners, and more. Our goal is to ensure participants have school the school supplies they need to continue their education.

Donate via Paypal
Your monetary donation will underwrite 6 laptop computers for our graduating seniors. Simply add "SIS Graduation" in the Note to Seller field. Contributing via PayPal is fast, free, and secure!

For questions, contact Jennifer Loubriel at outr...@ggenyc.com
Apply to be a Sisters in Strength Youth Organizer
2015 - 2017 Cohort!

Share this application with a young person today!

  • Programming is shaped both by the unique needs and interests of the SIS youth organizers, and by Girls for Gender Equity’s vision, mission, and goals.

  • SIS organizes around gender-based violence and confronts the multiple layers of individual and institutional discrimination that threaten the safety of girls and women.

  • Girls for Gender Equity celebrates all gender identities and expressions and encourages young trans women and gender non-conforming people of color to apply.

SIS Application
SIS Recommendation Form

We are hosting a Question & Answer Session at our office (30 Third Avenue Suite 104, Brooklyn, NY 11217) on Friday, May 15th from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM. RSVP to Nathania Fields at sis...@ggenyc.org by May 11th!

Dignity in Schools (DSC) Annual Membership Meeting

Sisters in Strength Youth Organizers Cheyenne Watts-Bey and Ednica Maxineau and Director of Organizing Kate McDonough joined over 90 other coalition partner organizations in Chicago! It was an opportunity to connect, share, and inform about campaign strategies. Cheyenne, Ednica and Kate reported on implicit bias and school push-out through the workshops and activities that they led.

All photos by Nancy Treviño
Cheyenne speaking about implicit bias on the Opening Keynote panel. She also led a workshop with the NAACP on the African American Policy Forum's report "Black Girls Matter: Pushed Out, Overpoliced, and Underprotected."
Ednica, Cheyenne, and Kate creating a timeline with Desis Rising Up and Moving (DRUM). Ednica also led a Vision and Values in Practice session, where DSC members discussed school push-out through an intersectional lens. Ednica led a piece on intergenerational coalition building.
DSC coalition members in solidarity with all victims of state sanctioned violence.
Shoshi Doza, the Coordinator for DSC-New York.

American Education Research Association (AERA) Conference

Sisters in Strength Youth Organizers Charisma Barrington and Heleya Gray and Sisters in Strength alumni Margaret Gilliam presented SIS's Participatory Action Research on girls of color experiencing harsh discipline in schools.

They participated in the Education Research to Performance Youth Research Festival, with youth researchers from across the  globe. They were accompanied by our Executive Director Joanne Smith, Director of Organizing Kate McDonough, and Community Organizer Brittany Brathwaite.

Kate, Joanne, Heleya, Margaret, Charisma and Brittany with Dr. Venus Evans-Winters, our AERA team leader (2nd from the right).
Charisma, Margaret, and Heleya performing their Education Research to Performance skit on how harsh discipline affects girls of color.
Presenting reflection journals at the Sisters in Strength Research Gallery.

Brittany speaking on the panel "Overpoliced and Underserved: Voices of Girls of Color and LGBTQ Youth on Discipline and Punishment."

#OurVoicesOurMovment!

On April 8th, we hosted our 3rd Annual Youth Summit! It was a youth-led adult-supported collaboration with Sadie Nash Leadership Project, the Center for Anti-Violence Education, and the YA-YA Network. The day's events included workshops and activities that centered the experiences of cis and trans girls of color and gender non-conforming youth affected by state sanctioned violence.

Both our middle school program, Urban Leaders Academy, and Sisters in Strength facilitated workshops. ULA led a session on art as a form of social justice activism, where participants decorated masks to show problems and solutions for issues they saw in their communities. SIS led a session on gender justice and school push-out.

Participants from the ULA workshop on art as a form of social justice activism. Here they are in the masks they created during the session.
SIS alumni Nathania Fields and current SIS Cheyenne Nelson and Kaydene Small facilitating their gender justice and school push-out workshop.
Youth Summit 2015: Our Voices, Our Movement
View our video for more highlights from #OurVoicesOurMovment!

Please donate TODAY! Thank you for your support!

DONATE TO GGE
Copyright © 2015 Girls for Gender Equity, All rights reserved.
GGENYC.ORG
Girls for Gender Equity is committed to the physical, psychological, social and economic development of girls and women. Through education, organizing and physical fitness, Girls for Gender Equity encourages communities to remove barriers and create opportunities for girls and women to live self-determined lives.

Our mailing address is:
30 3rd Ave, Ste 104
Brooklyn, NY 11217

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences

Peace, Respect & Culture,

ReKae Medina aka Supreme Energe

Universal Zulu Nation (UZN)- Noble 9 ZuluZ (Chapter 9)

cell: 646.326.8599
office: 347.765.0901
twitter: @ReKae_Medina
instagram:  ReKae_Medina
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/rekae-medina/49/9b4/b81

www.zulunation.com

www.nysmclothing.com

"Teach the Truth to the Youth for that's all we have" #YOUTH POWER
NOTICE TO PRINCIPAL IS NOTICE TO AGENT.NOTICE TO AGENT IS NOTICE TO PRINCIPAL.

Confidentiality Notice. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Ch.119 Sections 2510-2521 et seq., governs distribution of this “Message,” including attachments. All rights reserved....

All of the information sent through any and all forms of mediums of
communication by the SUPERIOR CLAIMANT are private. Including but not
limited to, any attachment(s), and are limited for the sole use of the
intended recipient and may contain Privileged and/or Confidential
Information. Any and All Political, Private or Public Entities,
Federal, State, or Local Corporate Government(s), Municipality(ies),
International Organizations, Corporation(s), agent(s),
investigator(s), or informant(s), et. al., and/or Third Party(ies),
and notwithstanding Any and All party(ies), working in collusion by
collecting and/or monitoring My email(s),and any other means of spying
and collecting these or any of my communications in general, Without
my Exclusive Permission are Barred from Any and All Unauthorized
Review, Use, Disclosure or Distribution. And shall be subject to
prosecution under the Law.
With Explicit Reservation of All My Rights, Without Prejudice and
Without Recourse to Me.
Any omission does not constitute a waiver of any and/or ALL
Intellectual Property Rights or Reserved Rights.
ECPA 18 USCA 2510.Gramm-Leach Bliley Act,15 USC Subchapter I,
Sec.6801-6809, Title 18 chpt.121 §§ 2701,2702,2709(c)(e)Title 18
chpt.§ 1505/1519/2239/chpt.109 § 2331

Original/Aboriginal Indigenous
Sovereign Confidentiality Notice:
This private email message, including any attachment(s) is limited the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain Privileged and/or Confidential Information. Any and All Political, Private or Public Entities, Federal, State, or Local Corporate Government(s), Municipality(ies), International Organizations, Corporation(s), agent(s), investigator(s), or informant(s), et. al., and/or Third Party(ies) working in collusion by collecting and/or monitoring My email(s),and any other means of spying and collecting these communications Without my Exclusive Permission are Barred from Any and All Unauthorized Review, Use, Disclosure or Distribution.
With Explicit Reservation of All My Rights, Without Prejudice and Without Recourse to Me.
Any omission does not constitute a waiver of any and/or ALL Intellectual Property Rights or Reserved Rights.
NOTICE TO PRINCIPLE IS NOTICE TO AGENT.
NOTICE TO AGENT IS NOTICE TO PRINCIPLE.