Fwd: NYPD's Racist Practices

ReKae Medina

May 20, 2015, 9:31:00 AM5/20/15
to ReKae Medina, Kevin 'KevSki' Joseph, Xen Medina, Master Born Love Allah, Bjorn Anselm aka Beonpnt, Victor Ramos aka Slone, Spiritchild, Desire aka Vitamin D, (Malika) Keryn Eliyse aka Coastal Ninja, Swiss Chris, George 'Esco' Escobar, (Malika) Anicka Oravcova aka Anna, Brett Stein, Walter 'Waldo Biggie' Perez, Omar 'DJOincredible' Olivares, DJ Chris Landry, Samuel McCausland aka MC Samael, Chad Harper aka Fam (Famus), Jose Martinez aka Jose Castillo, Prince Akeem, Chapter 9- Brooklyn, Vladimir Slaveykov aka Bamby Cool, Santiago Torres aka BBoy JoJo, DJ Chela, Jun Gaiya, Tony Navarro aka Don Tony, Trey aka Anthony, Rich 'Richie Rich' Rodriguez, Bone Skelatone/BBQ, Rayzer Sharp, The Legendary MIC, Tomeka R. Davis, Iz The Truth, Wayne Lacasse aka Mr. Quick, William Mackson aka Sidiki, Patrick Milord, Monica Medley, Big Bill, Knuckles aka John Rollins, Sara Ripp, DameOner, Six Starborn, Rithm, Quinton Counts, Chrisón Thompson, Casimiro Cabral, Jacob Pearce, XL, Serg, Kazembe Batts aka Kaz, DR.Unos&Dubs, Bri McMillen, Chuck Brown, CRUZ KONTROL, KeeLah Da Poet, Morbius

From: PROP <pr...@propnyc.org>
Date: May 14, 2015 21:03:51 GMT+02:00
To: <ninoes...@gmail.com>
Subject: NYPD's Racist Practices

Dear Friends:

PROP continues its work aimed at exposing the blatantly racist practices that the NYPD carries out everyday under the dubious banner of quota-driven ‘broken windows’ policing. Here is the latest report from our Court Monitoring Project and additional stories that we will include in our soon to be released report, That’s How They Get You, a compilation of over 100 vignettes detailing New Yorkers’ negative encounters with NYPD officers.

Court Monitoring Project

As part of a class project and under PROP’s auspices, students at CUNY’s LaGuardia College visited the arraignment parts of the City’s criminal courts and observed and recorded the proceedings. Here are their principal findings:

  • Out of 349 cases where the defendants’ race could be determined, 320 individuals, or 92.5%, were people of color.

  • Common charges included: open alcohol container, disorderly conduct, trespass, marijuana possession, theft of services (fare-beating), and driving with a suspended license.

Adding these findings to the figures that our Court Monitoring Project has already compiled brings the new totals to: out of 1,199 cases seen,1,117, or 93.2%, have involved people of color.

More Stories

Two police officers stopped and questioned an African-American fourteen-year-old girl while she was on her way to school — she was only one block away. When she protested, the officers arrested her and charged her with truancy. She understood, as many people in her community who are treated similarly do, that her real offense was “insisting on her rights.”

A 50-year-old man was caught up in a “lucky bag” sting. He picked up a handbag left on a bench in Sara Roosevelt Park in Manhattan. The handbag contained a wallet with $3.00 and when the man brought it to an officer, the officer arrested him on the charge of possession of stolen property.

A lawyer working in the arraignment part in Brooklyn reports that the same police officers have arrested and locked up her client, a middle-aged African-American man, on five separate occasions on the charge of selling loose cigarettes. Unusually, he has persisted in rejecting an ACD or a plea. He has denied the charges, insisting on his innocence and stating that the officers are "flaking" him planting evidence and lying about it. He plans to take all five open cases to trial.

A police officer issued a summons to a man for walking between the cars of a stopped subway train. The officer apologized: “I’m sorry, but it’s the 26th of the month and I have to make my quota.”

Please feel free to be in touch with any questions and/or comments. As always, many thanks for your interest and support.

Onward,

Robert Gangi

Director

Police Reform Organizing Project

Cell: 917-327-7648

bga...@propnyc.org

Destinie Keyes

Project Coordinator

Police Reform Organizing Project

dke...@propnyc.org

PROP’s Upcoming Events:

City-wide PROP Meeting:

We will gather at our regular monthly session — Tuesday, May 19th from 6 to 8PM at the Ethical Culture Society at 2 West 64th Street — to review relevant issues and events and to plan actions and strategies to move our agenda for sweeping NYPD reforms. We will focus especially on discussing our next targeted action which will involve PROPers and their allies setting up in one or more of the city’s white neighborhoods where we will hand out mock summonses for activities like bike on the sidewalk, jaywalking, spitting, open alcohol container, and park after dark — innocuous activities that police all too often arrest and ticket people of color for but which have been virtually decriminalized in white areas. This action has the potential to be instructive and effective and to garner press coverage, but it also requires our best thinking and planning for it to come off successfully. So please do not hesitate to join your fellow concerned New Yorkers in helping to plot the best approaches for carrying out this activity.

Court Monitoring:

PROP is continuing its Court Monitoring Project in which we go into the arraignment parts of New York City Courts and record data in an effort to expose the effect of "broken windows" policing on low-income communities of color. We have an upcoming court monitoring trip this month: Friday, May 22nd at 9:30AM at Brooklyn Criminal Court at 120 Schermerhorn St. Interested people should contact Bob Gangi at 917-327-7648 and plan to spend at least 1 hour sitting in the courtroom observing and recording the proceedings.

Petition Day:

On Saturday, May 30th, from 1 to 5PM, PROP volunteers will travel to different locations in the city to carry out our ongoing petition drive to show policymakers and the press that the support for sweeping NYPD reforms is diverse and widespread. We will add signatures collected during our Petition Day to the list of  over 19,000 people who have signed their support. Anyone interested in participating in this activity should contact Bob Gangi at 917-327-7648 or bga...@propnyc.org.

This email was sent to ninoes...@gmail.com
Police Reform Organizing Project · 307 West 36th Street · 12th Floor · New York, NY 10018 · USA

Peace, Respect & Culture,

ReKae Medina aka Supreme Energe

Universal Zulu Nation (UZN)- Noble 9 ZuluZ (Chapter 9)

cell: 646.326.8599
office: 347.765.0901
twitter: @ReKae_Medina
instagram:  ReKae_Medina
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/rekae-medina/49/9b4/b81

www.zulunation.com

www.nysmclothing.com

"Teach the Truth to the Youth for that's all we have" #YOUTH POWER
NOTICE TO PRINCIPAL IS NOTICE TO AGENT.NOTICE TO AGENT IS NOTICE TO PRINCIPAL.

Confidentiality Notice. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Ch.119 Sections 2510-2521 et seq., governs distribution of this “Message,” including attachments. All rights reserved....

All of the information sent through any and all forms of mediums of
communication by the SUPERIOR CLAIMANT are private. Including but not
limited to, any attachment(s), and are limited for the sole use of the
intended recipient and may contain Privileged and/or Confidential
Information. Any and All Political, Private or Public Entities,
Federal, State, or Local Corporate Government(s), Municipality(ies),
International Organizations, Corporation(s), agent(s),
investigator(s), or informant(s), et. al., and/or Third Party(ies),
and notwithstanding Any and All party(ies), working in collusion by
collecting and/or monitoring My email(s),and any other means of spying
and collecting these or any of my communications in general, Without
my Exclusive Permission are Barred from Any and All Unauthorized
Review, Use, Disclosure or Distribution. And shall be subject to
prosecution under the Law.
With Explicit Reservation of All My Rights, Without Prejudice and
Without Recourse to Me.
Any omission does not constitute a waiver of any and/or ALL
Intellectual Property Rights or Reserved Rights.
ECPA 18 USCA 2510.Gramm-Leach Bliley Act,15 USC Subchapter I,
Sec.6801-6809, Title 18 chpt.121 §§ 2701,2702,2709(c)(e)Title 18
chpt.§ 1505/1519/2239/chpt.109 § 2331

Original/Aboriginal Indigenous
Sovereign Confidentiality Notice:
This private email message, including any attachment(s) is limited the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain Privileged and/or Confidential Information. Any and All Political, Private or Public Entities, Federal, State, or Local Corporate Government(s), Municipality(ies), International Organizations, Corporation(s), agent(s), investigator(s), or informant(s), et. al., and/or Third Party(ies) working in collusion by collecting and/or monitoring My email(s),and any other means of spying and collecting these communications Without my Exclusive Permission are Barred from Any and All Unauthorized Review, Use, Disclosure or Distribution.
With Explicit Reservation of All My Rights, Without Prejudice and Without Recourse to Me.
Any omission does not constitute a waiver of any and/or ALL Intellectual Property Rights or Reserved Rights.
NOTICE TO PRINCIPLE IS NOTICE TO AGENT.
NOTICE TO AGENT IS NOTICE TO PRINCIPLE.