Next week's UX bookclub rescheduled for Tuesday March 3rd

fstorr

Feb 21, 2015, 5:19:51 PM2/21/15
to uxbook...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all

In what is probably the most rescheduled bookclub ever, we've had to move next week's meeting to Tuesday 3rd or March.

We're talking about the book A Web For Everyone by Sarah Horton and Whitney Quesenbery. The book is an excellent guide to accessibility, what it entails and how to design and build for it. If you think accessibility is just screen readers for blind users, you'll discover that it really isn't. Disabilities also cover things like not being able to use a mouse (something the many carpel tunnel syndrome sufferers in our industry know about), color blindness, deafness, dyslexia, broken bones, epilepsy, and much much more. We have a responsibility—both moral and legal—to make sure the sites, apps, and tools that we design and build work for our users.

We're going to talking with one of the book's authors, Whitney Quesenbery, about accessibility, our responsibilities to our users, legal requirements for "public" and "private" (e.g. intranets and other tools employees have to use) web content, and how to design and build for universal access.

Last year the Department Of Justice last year found against H+R Block and east-coast company Peapod for having inaccessible sites. In the latter case, the company were ordered to reprioritize their backlog to fix accessibility issues on their "mobile" and desktop sites. Accessibility lawsuits can be expensive—in 2008 Target were fined $6m and had to pay $3,738,864.96 in costs for having an inaccessible site.

Where and when
Date: Tuesday 3rd November, at 6PM (note: you won't be able to get into the building after 7PM)
Where: Mozilla's offices in The Pearl

Hope to see you on the 3rd of March.