September's book, date, and venue

fstorr

Jul 27, 2014, 2:07:36 PM7/27/14
to uxbook...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all

Okay, here's all the details of September's book club:

We're following on from July's excellent discussion on Sam Ladner's "Practical Ethnography: A Guide to Doing Ethnography" in the Private Sector with a classic from sociologist Erving Goffman, who was considered the most influential American sociologist of the twentieth century.

"Interaction Ritual - Essays on Face-to-Face Behavior" is one of several classic books by Goffman, and one that is studied by UX researchers. The book is a collection of six essays: "On Face-work", "Embarrassment and Social Organization", "The Nature of Deference and Demeanor", "Alienation from Interaction", "Mental Symptoms and Public Order", and "Where the Action Is". If you want to brush up on your understanding of people, this is one of the books for you.

Where to get the book:
You can get Interaction Ritual at:

Date, time, and place:
When: Thursday, 4th September from 6pm–8pm
Where: Mozilla's offices in The Pearl

As always, a reminder: if you don't get a chance to finish the book but want to come along, then please do—we've love to see you.

Hope you're all enjoying the weather.

Regards

Francis