today

William Stein

Aug 9, 2011, 3:08:38 PM8/9/11
to uwntr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm planning to be in the Sieg Hall office by 1pm.

I've finally finished writing all the code needed to compute aplists
efficiently attached to Hilbert modular forms (input to Jon's code),
but I'm waiting about an hour or two more for 12GB of pickles to get
re-pickled, and then I'll finally be able to run the code. My goal
by 5pm is to have an aplist of a (maybe all?) missing curves to
precision at least 10,000.

What's your plan/status?

-- William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Jonathan Bober

Aug 9, 2011, 3:40:22 PM8/9/11
to uwntr...@googlegroups.com
I am going to be working on cleaning and tuning my code so that hopefully I'll be albe to use that list of coefficients to quickly find a curve.

Ben LeVeque

Aug 9, 2011, 3:50:41 PM8/9/11
to uwntr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

   I tried several more torsion families last night (including 3, 2x2, 4, 5, 7, and 10 -- the torsion prediction code was helpful for figuring out which ones to go for), but still no luck finding any new curves that way. The code output a decent number of curves with the correct norm conductors, but they were all matched already. Mod-Jon found three more curves, though! N=1100, N=1516, and N=1595. This morning I was thinking a bit about different approaches to finding curves using the information we know, but so far nothing has been too promising... For example, §XI.3 of Silverman gives an equation for a_p in terms of Legendre symbols (already a problem for larger primes) of f(x) = 4*x^3 + b_2*x^2 + 2*b_4*x + b_6   (mod p), but this would definitely get unwieldy... Today am planning to look into twisting a bit.

   -Ben

Ariah Klages-Mundt

Aug 9, 2011, 5:50:02 PM8/9/11
to uwntr...@googlegroups.com
I am finishing up reading about height and saturation. I am currently reading through Martin Prickett's thesis.