October 25 at NARC: Project Euler coding challenge

Andreas Freund

Oct 23, 2018, 2:17:12 PM10/23/18
to na...@uw.edu, uwn...@googlegroups.com, amath-stud...@uw.edu
Hi everyone,

This week at the Numerical Analysis Research Club (NARC), we'll be tackling some problems from Project Euler (https://projecteuler.net/). Project Euler is a collection of math-focused programming challenges. Most problems can be solved with clever coding or mathematical knowledge, but the ideal solution will use both.

Here are the problems we suggest you try to tackle. They vary in difficulty, so feel free to start on the easier ones or dive straight into the deep end.

Problem 345, "Matrix sum" (https://projecteuler.net/problem=345). Difficulty 15%, solved by 4268.
Problem 83, "Path sum: four ways" (https://projecteuler.net/problem=83). Difficulty 25%, solved by 15161.
Problem 107, "Minimal network" (https://projecteuler.net/problem=107). Difficulty 35%, solved by 9145.
Problem 572, "Idempotent matrices" (https://projecteuler.net/problem=572). Difficulty 50%, solved by 238.
Problem 626, "Counting binary matrices" (https://projecteuler.net/problem=626). Difficulty 70%, solved by 151.

If you make a Project Euler account, you can check your answer on the problem page. If you give the correct answer, you'll gain access to a discussion page where you can find other people's solutions. You can also find hints about most problems by googling.

If you're feeling brave, you can share your code with us (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fi_qn8HUW1C1_PFeuBff3HXMmInvSimh) so that we can compare runtimes, readability, terseness, etc. You're also encouraged to try using a less common language (Julia, JavaScript, x86 assembly, or COBOL anyone?) so that we can see how solutions might differ depending on the features of the language.

NARC meets at 1:30pm on Thursdays in Lewis 208. Snacks provided!

Good luck!

Andreas