NARC presentation Thursday on Riemann solvers and Jupyter notebooks

Randall J LeVeque

May 9, 2018, 8:16:02 PM5/9/18
to NARC, amath...@amath.washington.edu
Tomorrow in NARC (at 1:30 in the Wan Conference Room, Lewis 208) I'll be giving a very informal demonstration of some of the Jupyter notebooks I've been developing together with David Ketcheson and Mauricio del Razo that we hope will be published in various forms as a book on Riemann solvers for various hyperbolic PDEs.  I'll also talk about some of the challenges of trying to develop notebooks with interactive widgets that work well both for people running the notebooks and also as static html files with embedded animations, and as even more static pdf files for a printed version of the book.

Preliminary versions of some of the notebooks can be viewed at
or found on Github at
where you can also find a link to fire up a binder instance running the notebooks.  Feedback welcome!

If you're not familiar with Jupyter notebooks, they are great for presenting material in an interactive manner and part of the future of scientific publishing, I hope.  This Atlantic article "The Scientific Paper is Obsolete" is an interesting read.

 - Randy