NSF MRI Grants

Charles Maris

Nov 21, 2013, 3:45:39 PM11/21/13
to uwg-rese...@googlegroups.com
The NSF has a $90 Million Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) program that runs annually.  The program, which can be found here, is for purchasing expensive pieces of equipment that are too expensive for their normal granting mechanisms.

An example of successful MRI acquisitions can be found here, and includes everything from fancy microscopes to wind tunnels, wave generators, and high-performance computers, and more.

This is the grant program by which we may add to our capacity and capability to conduct research that requires infrastructure not currently available at UWG.

Unfortunately, we may only submit two proposals.  There is an option for a third proposal, but this would require working with an industrial partner to develop novel instrumentation.

Anyone interested should provide a short description (500 words suggested) of what they are interested in bringing to campus, how it would enhance our research capabilities, and how the instrumentation might impact other faculty and students. ORSP will work with the ORSP Faculty Advisory Board (FAB) and the Provost to select the ideas that may move forward to the full proposal stage, and ORSP will continue to work with the proposal authors to prepare the best submission possible.

The details can be found on the ORSP webpage

Here is the calendar for moving forward:

Advertise MRI program to campus: now

Idea synopses due to ORSP: 11/29/2013

Down selected ideas announced 12/06/2013

Full proposals due to ORSP: 01/17/2014

Full proposals due to NSF: 01/23/2014

Often missing from unsuccessful MRI proposals is a management plan and a plan to share the instrumentation with regional academic and industrial partners. The NSF highly favors proposals that include two-year institutions, in particular, since they are often left out of the capacity/infrastructure-building process. ORSP will be ensuring management and sharing plans are included in our submissions this year, and we would appreciate the opportunity to work with the authors throughout the proposal process.

Happy Hunting,

Charles

From the solicitation:

"This program especially seeks to improve the quality and expand the scope of research and research training in science and engineering, by supporting proposals for shared instrumentation that fosters the integration of research and education in research-intensive learning environments. Each MRI proposal may request support for the acquisition (Track 1) or development (Track 2) of a single research instrument for shared inter- and/or intra-organizational use; development efforts that leverage the strengths of private sector partners to build instrument development capacity at MRI submission-eligible organizations are encouraged."

Charles H. Maris, Ph.D.

Assoc. VP for Research & Sponsored Projects

University of West Georgia

https://www.facebook.com/MARISresearch