Internet Collective: Fri Jan 12

Paul Nijjar

Jan 11, 2007, 2:37:48 PM1/11/07

Well, the WPIRG Internet Collective is starting up for the new term, so
here's my termly cross-posted advertising e-mail.

The WPIRG Internet Collective is having its organizational meeting this
Friday Jan 12, at 4:30pm in the WPIRG office, SLC 2139.

What is the Internet Collective? We are a group of volunteer at WPIRG, the
Waterloo Public Interest Research Group. Here are some of the things we
do:

- Develop community web tools such as communityevents.ca
- Take care of Linux servers and MacOS workstations in the office
- Maintain other websites such as the WPIRG website
- Help volunteers and staff use computer resources effectively

People of all skill levels are welcome to join -- from newbies to gurus.
We all learn from and support each other. Joining the Internet Collective
is a great way to develop your skills, combine your interests in computers
and making the world a better place, and getting your foot in the door
with nonprofit IT support.

Last term, we got a good group of people together, and we made some
progress which we will build on this term. Our focuses for the term
include:
- Either cleaning up the communityevents code or starting from scratch,
and adding good things like Atom/iCal feeds.
- Evaluating a bunch of open-source library software packages we
selected last term.
- Setting up and configuring new services for our CentOS development
server
- Building up content on all of our websites

Although this list sounds a lot like last term's, we really have been
making some good progress. Please come out and help us continue this good
work.

If you are interested but can't make the meeting, send me an
e-mail and we can get something organized. You can mail me here or at utm
dot utoronto dot ca with the same username. (Is that anti-spammy enough?
How about if I tell you my username is pnijjar?)

- Paul