Problems installing Live USB version of IOI2010 Environment

obi1kenobi

Aug 2, 2010, 9:54:36 AM8/2/10
After downloading the Live USB/DVD ISO file, I extracted it to a USB
stick and started the installation using Wubi. It asked me to boot
from the LiveCD (or USB in this case, I figure). However, upon
restarting my computer, when I selected the Boot from USB option in
the boot menu, I got an error message saying that the USB device is
not bootable and asking me to remove it.

I am either doing something wrong, or there is a problem with the
file. Either way, I see that there is a walkthrough for users opting
for the VirtualBox variant of the environment. It is my opinion that
it would be very helpful if you could include tips on how to use the
LiveUSB version too.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

abeln

Aug 2, 2010, 6:17:19 PM8/2/10
There are a number of ways to install the Competition Environment.

The recommended method is to use the latest version of VirtualBox and
the appliance for it available in the IOI website. This way, there is
both less risk that it will interfere with your current configuration,
and will allow you to experiment with it without the need to reboot or
alter the hard drive partitions.

For the Live DVD/USB, there are, again, multiple options.

In "all" systems (i.e. Linux, Windows, MacOS):
* burn the .iso file to a DVD using your favourite program; then boot
from the Live DVD, or install it.

In Ubuntu:
* instead of burning a DVD, use the "Startup Disk Creator" utility to
create a bootable Live USB key.

In Windows:
* mount the image in a virtual drive; then use Wubi to install the
Competition Environment (I haven't personally tested this last
variant, though).

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need further clarification.

Regards,

Abel Nieto
(IOI 2010 Technical Committee)

obi1kenobi

Aug 3, 2010, 9:54:15 AM8/3/10

I managed to create a bootable Live USB key using LinuxLive USB
Creator 2.5 (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/downloads/?version=stable)
using Windows.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,