Wrong line order in RunC output in gedit

Fabian Gundlach

Jul 29, 2010, 8:25:17 AM7/29/10
I experienced some weird output from runc in gedit several times (the
line order is wrong):

Running tool: RunC

Compiling grader.cpp grader.h player.cpp player.h
Running grader.cpp -- input from grader.in.1 -- output to grader.out.1
Program has finished. No runtime errors.
Output is equal to grader.expect.1
Running grader.cpp -- input from grader.in.10 -- output to grader.out.
10
Program has finished. No runtime errors.
Running grader.cpp -- input from grader.in.2 -- output to grader.out.2
Program has finished. No runtime errors.
Output is equal to grader.expect.2
Running grader.cpp -- input from grader.in.3 -- output to grader.out.3
Program has finished. No runtime errors.
Output is equal to grader.expect.3
Running grader.cpp -- input from grader.in.5 -- output to grader.out.5
Program has finished. No runtime errors.
Output is equal to grader.expect.5

(gedit:24022): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the
session manager: networkIdsList argument is NULL

Output is equal to grader.expect.6
Running grader.cpp -- input from grader.in.6 -- output to grader.out.6
Program has finished. No runtime errors.
Output is equal to grader.expect.7
Output is equal to grader.expect.8
Running grader.cpp -- input from grader.in.7 -- output to grader.out.7
Program has finished. No runtime errors.
Running grader.cpp -- input from grader.in.8 -- output to grader.out.8
Program has finished. No runtime errors.
Running grader.cpp -- input from grader.in.9 -- output to grader.out.9
Program has finished. No runtime errors.
Output is equal to grader.expect.9

Done.

This happens more frequently, when my computer is already busy with
other tasks. I think this output is a bit confusing although all
informations are given.

I still have another question: Would it be possible to include some
small support for kate? kate -u DOCUMENTNAME would open the document
in kate (if there already exists an instance of kate, it will be
opened in that window). Something like
if [ "kate" = "$2" ] ; then
GEDIT=${HOME}/.RunC/mykate
fi
in the run* files would invoke mykate, if you specify "kate" as the
second argument for runc. The mykate file could look something like
this:
#!/bin/bash
kate -u $1 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null

Sorry if there are errors in the above scripts. I don't have much
experience in bash scripting. Similar things could probably also be
accomplished for other editors.

Such kate support would probably be a bit more convenient for
participants who prefer kate as their editor and who get disturbed by
gedit popping up (if you didn't run gedit before, the runc process
doesn't terminate before you close gedit again).

Anyway, I fully understand if it is too late to include that or if
there are other reasons against it, of course.

Gordon V. Cormack

Jul 29, 2010, 11:40:27 AM7/29/10
to Fabian Gundlach
Thanks. I haven't seen that before.

As for kate, your contestants are welcome to edit what's
in their .RunC directory to make whatever change they
like.

As you suggest, I think it is too risky for use to
make a change at this time.