Master's Thesis Talk on Isogenies of Elliptic Curves

Dan Shumow

Jul 13, 2009, 8:53:15 PM7/13/09
to uw-crypto, sag...@googlegroups.com, nt...@googlegroups.com, aly.d...@gmail.com, boo...@u.washington.edu, sg.s...@gmail.com
Below you will find the information about my MS Thesis talk.

Anyone who is interested to attend is invited to join us. As a bonus,
I'll be providing snacks :-)

After the announcement, I have posted directions to the building where
the talk will be.

The talks will be in the Public lecture halls attached to MSR. So you
do not need an escort. However, if you do want to get a name tag
sticker, let me know if you are planning on coming and I'll have the
receptionist make some up for you.

Thanks,
Dan

When: Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:30 PM-5:00 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time
(US & Canada).
Where: 99/1919 Research Lecture Room C

Note: The GMT offset above does not reflect daylight saving time
adjustments.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

WHO: Dan Shumow
AFFILIATION: University of Washington
TITLE: Elliptic Curve Isogenies: A Computational Approach
WHEN: Thu 7/16/2009
WHERE: 99/1919 Research Lecture Room C
TIME: 3:30PM-5PM
HOST: Kristin Lauter
ABSTRACT:
Isogenies are maps that preserve the structure of elliptic curves, and
as such are an important mathematical tool. Unsurprisingly, this once
almost entirely theoretical tool has found uses in elliptic curve
cryptography. These applications include the Schoof-Elkies-Atkins
point counting algorithm, uses in the MOV attack and pairing based
cryptography, constructing provably secure hash functions and random
number generators (a result from the MSR Crypto team), and also as a
tool for analyzing the complexity of reducing the discrete log problem
between elliptic curves (also a result by MSR cryptography
researchers). With these cryptographic applications as a motivation,
I set out to study some of the computational aspects of isogenies.
This talk presents some algorithms for computational aspects of
Isogenies, and some background for understanding these results. I’ll
also show how to compute isogenies with Sage (functionality that was
added as part of this project.)

BIO:
I am presently an intern on the Crypto Tools team, last summer I was
an intern on the MSR Crypto team. I am just finishing up my MS in
mathematics at the University of Washington. Prior to attending the
UW, I was a developer on the Windows crypto team. I got my BS in
Mathematics and Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin in
2004.

DIRECTIONS:

The talk will be in Lecture Hall 1919 in Microsoft Building 99: 14820
NE 36th St, Redmond, WA‎

If you drive to building 99, park in the parking garage, in one of the
visitor spots. You will need to register your car with the building
receptionist.

Directions to MSR:

From Seattle by car:

- Get on 520 heading east
- Take the 148th ave North exit
- Go north on 148th until you get to NE 36th St, and turn right.
- After you turn right onto NE 36th st, Building 99 is the first left
you can make.

From Seattle by Public Transit:

- take any bus that gets you to overlake transit center.
- From over lake transit center, walk west on NE 40th St, cross 520 on
the bridge.
- The first light after the over pass you come to will be 150th Ave
NE, turn left on this street.
- Walk down 150th Ave NE until it gets to a T-intersection with NE
36th St, turn right.
- Building 99 will be the first building on the right.

The following is a link to the location on google maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=microsoft+building+99&near=United+States&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=395070319605891704&li=lmd&ll=47.64281,-122.130075&spn=0.013329,0.038581&z=15

Dan Shumow

Jul 15, 2009, 6:51:32 PM7/15/09
to uw-crypto, sage-uw, ntuw
Just as an FYI. Due to a conflict with "Take your child to work day"
We are rescheduling this talk from tomorrow to friday at 3:30pm.

The new location will be in a conference room, so if you are planning
to attend and you do not have a Microsoft badge, you will have to let
me know ahead of time, so I can meet you and let you in.

I will send out the updated announcement as soon as the MSR talk
people send it out.

Thanks,
Dan
> The following is a link to the location on google maps:http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=micro...

Dan Shumow

Jul 16, 2009, 4:37:30 PM7/16/09
to uw-crypto, ntuw, sage-uw
The updated time and place are as follows:

WHEN: Thu 7/17/2009
WHERE: 99/4535 Research Conference Room
TIME: 3:30PM-5PM

As mentioned before, anyone from the UW who is interested in attending
should let me know ahead of time so I am expecting you.

Thanks,
Dan