conflict? crypto versus positivity problems of real algebraic geometry

William Stein

Feb 18, 2008, 3:49:37 PM2/18/08
to nt...@groups.google.com, Neal Koblitz, Dan Shumow, uw-...@groups.google.com
Hello NTUW,

Is anybody planning to go to the department colloquium *next* Tuesday
instead of the number theory seminar? Let me know, and I can move
the number theory seminar to 5:00pm. The number theory seminar will be:

"Number Theory/Cryptography Seminar
Constructing Abelian Varieties for Pairing-based Cryptography
David Freeman, UC Berkeley
4:00pm, Padelford C-401
"

The department colloquium will be:

February 26, 2008 at 4:00pm
Smith Hall, Room 102
Mihai Putinar
University of California, Santa Barbara Positive Polynomials
A historical approach to some positivity problems of real algebraic
geometry will be given from the perspective of early functional
analysis. The spectral theorem for commuting self-adjoint operators
will be the key to a variety of Positivstellensatze, in conjunction
with a powerful decision theorem of Tarski. Recent applications to
non-linear, non-convex optimization for polynomials functions will
also be discussed.