topic schedule -- slight change

William Stein

Nov 16, 2007, 1:57:27 PM11/16/07
to uw-...@groups.google.com
Hello Math 581f,

I'm modifying the schedule for the rest of the class as given below. Basically,
I'm deleting the days on p-adic numbers and completions, and instead talking
more about decomposition and inertia groups, and frobenius elements,
since you'll need to understand them well in order to understand Galois
representations more deeply. I've updated http://wiki.wstein.org/ant07/sched

Also, regarding homework, please turn in homework 7 today as scheduled.
There will *not* be a new homework assignment due next Friday, because
of Thanksgiving -- instead sometime early next week I'll give an assignment
due November 30.

Today:
* (Nov 16) Decomposition of primes in Galois
extensions: e, f, and n

Week 9:
* (Nov 19) The Decomposition and Inertia Groups
* (Nov 21) Frobenius elements
* xx (Nov 23) Thanksgiving xx

Week 10:
* (Nov 26) Galois representations
* (Nov 28) L-series of Galois Representations
* (Nov 30) Zeta functions of number fields:
definition and examples

Week 11:
* (Dec 3) The (Generalized) Riemann Hypothesis: statement
and some consequences
* (Dec 5) The Class Number Formula: statement and examples
* (Dec 7) The Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer conjecture: statement

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics