Two more formatting issues

Clayton Hann

May 16, 2024, 9:31:19 PMMay 16
to utterlyvoiceusers
First is there a way to add a space to the end of dictated things coming from the interpreter?  I usually get a half a sentence and then another half, but the word on the end of first & beginning of second halves get put together.

Also is it possible to keep all the capitalization from the Recognizer?  The interpreter seems to lower case everything.  This makes things like a "CT scan" end up getting typed as "ct scan"

Thanks again for your answering my questions.

Utterly Voice

May 17, 2024, 10:11:46 AMMay 17
to Clayton Hann, utterlyvoiceusers
Hello Clayton,

We are happy to answer any questions you have. These questions help us improve documentation and make future implementation decisions.

The current behavior for both of these scenarios was a conscious decision we made during implementation. However, we added tasks to create user settings for both of these behaviors. If the settings are not in the next version, they will be in the version after that. More details below.

Spacing between utterances

As long time dictation users ourselves, the automatic spacing between utterances injected by other dictation systems was often undesirable. Consider the following utterance lists:
  1. "I want to end the sentence", "period"
  2. "I want a comma", "comma"
  3. "I want a newline", "enter"
In each of these cases, adding a space between the first and second utterance is problematic. So, we decided to provide our users with explicit control of spacing between utterances. You can just use the "space" command:
  • "I want to continue this", "space sentence period" -> "I want to continue this sentence."
However, we are planning to add a user setting for this if you do not like the current behavior.

Capitalization

Another thing we learned after years of using dictation is that most recognizers have fairly random behavior when it comes to capitalization. Similar to the spacing decision above, we decided to provide users with explicit control over capitalization. You can use the "capital" command to capitalize one word and the "title" command to capitalize many words. Neither of these will work for "CT scan" though, but you can use either of the following.

The "upper" and "lower" commands are used to type letters:
  • "upper cuba turkey stop scan" -> "CT scan"
  • "upper car toy stop scan" -> "CT scan"
  • "upper car toy", "space scan" -> "CT scan"
For any jargon you use often, you should consider adding it to your jargon.yaml mode file or a new mode file. You could define this command in that file:

  - name: "c t scan"
      Types "CT scan".
    biasFactor: 1.2
    alternates:
      - "ct scan"
      - "cat scan"
    functions:
      - name: "type"
        fixedArguments:
          - "CT scan"
    spaceLeft: true
    spaceRight: true

However, we are planning to add a user setting for this if you prefer the capitalization coming from the recognizer.

Utterly Voice

Jul 1, 2024, 10:14:16 AMJul 1
to Clayton Hann, utterlyvoiceusers
Update: the latest version (1.07) includes these commands:
  • "utterance spacing on/off"
  • "capitalization on/off" - this works for all recognizers except Vosk