Utrecht.rb Lightning Talks 4th Februari: Location and Speakers!

Timon Vonk

Jan 12, 2013, 1:48:21 PM1/12/13
to utrecht...@meetup.com, utrec...@googlegroups.com, amster...@googlegroups.com, denha...@googlegroups.com, rotter...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

Monday the 4th of Februari Utrecht.rb is organizing a bunch of lightning talks, as you all probably know by now. As of now we have two speakers, that means we still have one 15m slot open!

If you're not convinced yet, there will be free drinks and pizza sponsored by Github!

So here's the rundown:

Talks
Disavow your gods - Sjoerd Andringa
Every app has its god models; Typically a 200+ LOC ActiveRecord model central to the application's domain, stuffed with responsibilities. Everything interacts with it, and it interacts with everything else. And no matter how much you please them with mixins and what not, your gods will punish you. God models are increasingly hard to maintain, they are hard to test, and their tests are slow.
You may never loose your religion entirely, but there are techniques to keep the number god models to a minimum. In my talk I will show you how to move responsibilities from an ActiveRecord model to focussed, lightweight and easily testable classes using a real life example from our product's codebase."

Go Ruby! - Harm Aarts
Ruby is great. But what ugly beast reared it head? Go (golang.org)? You can't even redefine NilClass!
Let's take a Ruby look at this language which received so much attention in the last year.

Location
Brightin (Big thanks!)
Maliesingel 40, Utrecht, Netherlands
Several parking spots behind the office, better to set nav to: Hugo de Grootstraat 46

Registration
Join us at http://www.meetup.com/Utrecht-rb/events/87091122/, plenty of spots left!

Cheers and hope to see you all next week at Ams.rb,
Timon

--
Timon Vonk