Utracer 6 problem

Sándor Filotás

May 23, 2023, 12:29:56 PM5/23/23
to uTracer
Hello!

I have a Utracer 6 device, unfortunately I am not satisfied with it when a very accurate device works. But it's the second time T65 Fet has failed, the transistors on the anode and screen sides are constantly failing T63 and T83, has anyone experienced this? I'm very disappointed, the device is also unstable, I start a measurement, Hv led on starts and freezes.... It has to be restarted many times, now it's not good, both FETs on the anode side are broken, and so are the transistors.

Ihor Smal

May 23, 2023, 12:49:51 PM5/23/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a standard build without any modifications, so everything is according to the manual, and do you use a cable connection to the com port? I used to have similar behavior while using cheap Bluetooth dongles for com port many years ago.

On May 23, 2023 18:29:58 Sándor Filotás <sturmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello!

I have a Utracer 6 device, unfortunately I am not satisfied with it when a very accurate device works. But it's the second time T65 Fet has failed, the transistors on the anode and screen sides are constantly failing T63 and T83, has anyone experienced this? I'm very disappointed, the device is also unstable, I start a measurement, Hv led on starts and freezes.... It has to be restarted many times, now it's not good, both FETs on the anode side are broken, and so are the transistors.

Sándor Filotás

May 23, 2023, 1:24:48 PM5/23/23
to uTracer
Hello!

Usb ttl converter, cp2102, but sometimes it works fine for a week, then I can't start it... I don't understand, the other bigger problem is the broken parts, I haven't changed anything on the switch, everything is factory default. Of course, it is almost impossible to get the fet, I will be curious to see how we can solve this

Ihor Smal

May 23, 2023, 1:33:38 PM5/23/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
And that TTL converter is connected directly to the PIC controller Rx/Tx pins or still to the com port's max232 chip?

My gets were also burning but it is just because the communication gets lost and high voltages are still present and running through the tube. It does happen because of the unstable communication with the PIC controller, believe it or not and not because of the circuit design around the fets. Try standard serial cable, I have never had problems with it. Also when the HV led hangs, you should not just switch uTracer off and on, you do have to issue a special command and that can be done just by staring and stopping the measurement cycle, or with uTracerJS software just sending 30.... Command from debug tab.

If your cable sometimes works and sometimes not it is already indication about the poor communication due to the cable, the serial port on PIC is stable by design and always works.

Ihor a következőt írta (2023. május 23., kedd, 18:49:51 UTC+2):
Do you have a standard build without any modifications, so everything is according to the manual, and do you use a cable connection to the com port? I used to have similar behavior while using cheap Bluetooth dongles for com port many years ago.

On May 23, 2023 18:29:58 Sándor Filotás <sturmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello!

I have a Utracer 6 device, unfortunately I am not satisfied with it when a very accurate device works. But it's the second time T65 Fet has failed, the transistors on the anode and screen sides are constantly failing T63 and T83, has anyone experienced this? I'm very disappointed, the device is also unstable, I start a measurement, Hv led on starts and freezes.... It has to be restarted many times, now it's not good, both FETs on the anode side are broken, and so are the transistors.

Sándor Filotás

May 23, 2023, 3:19:44 PM5/23/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, it is directly connected, I took 232 out of the socket.

Benjamin Jordan

Jul 28, 2023, 12:17:10 AM7/28/23
to uTracer
I'm having similar issues.

I just finished the kit, and things tested fine most way through the manual test procedures.

But when I try to run the test I(Va=Vs, Vg) with Vh fixed - communication is lost.

It seems to me the PCB design is such that there's a LOT of EMR and that interferes with communication. I was using a similar USB-TTL Com port device and had it connected directly to the PIC.

But I still have other issues... I'll post questions in another thread about it.

I've had one of the main SiC FETs de-solder itself from heat because the PIC froze and left it switched on. Luckily, the internal RDS(on) of these is high enough that it just got really hot but didn't get destroyed. I have replacements.

This product needs a serious PCB re-design by someone who knows how to design them for switching PSUs. I hope Ronald puts a firmware update with a watch-dog timer in use so that if the PIC loses communications it shuts down every boost converter to prevent destruction...

Sándor Filotás

Jul 28, 2023, 4:18:01 AM7/28/23
to uTracer
Hello!

Unfortunately, I ended up with a short circuit on the PIC power supply. I consulted with them, it ended up being mailed back to the Netherlands, supposedly I soldered the T80 in carelessly, that's why the boost converter didn't always start, Ronald put a resistor in another place.
Since then, I have used it a few times, it only froze once, but its software could also be improved, not only in terms of hardware.

Sándor Filotás

Jul 28, 2023, 4:20:47 AM7/28/23
to uTracer
The translation is wrong, I didn't cause the short circuit, it just went wrong...

Benjamin Jordan

Aug 7, 2023, 3:54:59 PM8/7/23
to uTracer
I had similar issues.

I had been careless somehow and sent the kit back to NL for Ronald to fix my mistakes. He's a true gentleman.

It's on the way back to me now.

Turns out in my enthusiasm to get it working I was rushing. I did somehow fry the current sense opamp (I must have inserted it wrong in the socket I can not think of any other explanation).

Ooops! I should know better.