GUI. Heater config. issue

Felix Menendez

Dec 11, 2022, 10:42:14 AM12/11/22
to uTracer
Hi group,
Is there any reason for the GUI not letting to enter Heater Voltages above 50 Volts (although we are using an external xformer)..? Thanks
Regards
Félix

theold...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2022, 11:06:40 AM12/11/22
to utr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Felix,

In my version I cannot enter anything higher than 19.5, which makes perfect sense. That equates to 100% of the supply voltage. Since the uTracer does not have boost capability, how would the internal processor deal with a number greater than 100%?

When using an external power supply for the filament, the number you put in the gui is totally irrelevant since it cannot be used in any calculation because the processor obviously cannot control it.

If you want to do measurements at different filament voltages, you must manually adjust your power supply and run the test again.

Bill v.

Ihor

Dec 11, 2022, 11:39:31 AM12/11/22
to uTracer
There is also an intermediate possibility between using the build in 19.2V which are (PW) modulated to 6.3V or anything else (max 19.2V) and totally external heater where things to not matter. In Ronald's software and also in uTracerJS it is possible to connect any external power supply and modulate it with the uTracer's PWM circuit. This is where one has to put in the GUI the voltage of external power supply. Is this the option that you are looking for, with those 50V ? Putting 50V for PWN in order to get 12 or 6V in the heater is a very bad idea because of the way how PWN works in principle.

Felix Menendez

Dec 11, 2022, 11:40:36 AM12/11/22
to uTracer
Thanks for your reply, Bill,
Well, perhaps I didn' explain myself properly ("second hand" english ;-) ). I'm using 'external supply' mode. I enter the valve's pinout into 'pins' window and the valve's filament voltage into the 'fil' window. But when it comes to valves with more than 50 volts filament, the GUI doesn't let me enter the appropriate filament voltage. Is this a GUI characteristic?

Félix

Felix Menendez

Dec 11, 2022, 11:44:32 AM12/11/22
to uTracer
Thanks Ihor,
We are running our uTracer with a custom made external transformer to cover voltages up to 117 volts. I just would like to enter somewhere in the GUI the correct voltage for a given (more than 50V) valve, so when you select that valve, besides the pinout, you would have the correct filament voltage in a handy and convenient place...

Félix

Martin Manning

Dec 11, 2022, 12:36:14 PM12/11/22
to uTracer
My guess is the 50V Vh limit is consistent with the PWM-controlled external heater supply described here: https://www.dos4ever.com/uTracerlog/tubetester2.html#heater2 That doesn't quite square with the IRF1404Z's 40V Vds limit tho...