Gui voltage question

Sándor Filotás

Apr 23, 2023, 10:00:39 AM4/23/23
to uTracer
Hello!

I have a Utracer 6 device, there is a problem that I do not understand. I circled the picture, which voltage value is good? What does the software measure?
In many cases, I have to set 20 volts more to get the desired voltage, here in the picture I would have needed 40 volts.
I'm testing a 6c33c tube, I don't fully understand what's going on, this voltage difference also applies to the characteristic, if I tell it to go from -10 volts to 90 volts, it still doesn't go to that value.

I accept all advice and tips!

Alexander

Sándor Filotás

Apr 23, 2023, 10:01:15 AM4/23/23
to uTracer
q.jpg

Ihor Smal

Apr 23, 2023, 10:32:03 AM4/23/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
It looks normal I would say. Your current is 400mA at that time, there is a large voltage drop in this case. With my uTracer3 and 50mA of measuring current the typical drop is 5V, down from the set value.

Sándor Filotás

Apr 23, 2023, 10:55:51 AM4/23/23
to uTracer
Hello!

Thanks for the answer, but where do I go from the 1kV and 1000mA limit? I know I would have to replace a resistor for this, measure up to 1 ampere, but if there is such a voltage here, what would happen there?

What are the experiences, how accurate is utracer's own voltage measurement? In such cases, the characteristic measurement does not reach the set limit due to the voltage drop, but is what it measures accurate?

Ihor Smal

Apr 23, 2023, 11:29:27 AM4/23/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
I do not know about experience of others with such a current hungry tube, but the easiest solution is to just set the VA voltage 20V higher, and the. You will get a proper measurement at 60V.

Sándor Filotás

Apr 23, 2023, 11:38:18 AM4/23/23
to uTracer

Yes, I tried it with the quick test, it works, the characteristic is also accurate, but it does not go up to the voltage that is set, but what it measures is accurate. Here you can cheat by first checking the voltage drop at the maximum voltage during the quick test and adding it to the maximum of the characteristic measurement.

Another question, what exactly does "compliance error" mean? Here, it says this for large pipes, if I don't turn it off

Ihor

Apr 23, 2023, 12:09:38 PM4/23/23
to uTracer
You can try an alternative software for uTracer (https://boffin.nl/wp/) that does all those compensations for you automatically. See the screenshots with the red outlines where you would have to put a check mark.

When the compliance is set to some value, for example 500mA, the compliance error means that the uTracer applied the specified voltages during the measurement, but detected that the measured current was going to be more than 500mA (it is done very quickly via PIC interrupts, so nothing else downstream is damaged), and decided not to conduct a proper measurement which takes a bit longed (and might damage the ADC converters) and threw the compliance error.
utracerjs1.jpgutracerjs2.jpg

Sándor Filotás

Apr 23, 2023, 12:40:50 PM4/23/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, here the measurement limit is only 200mA, am I correct?

Sándor Filotás

Apr 23, 2023, 1:20:59 PM4/23/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
I quickly tried the program, it's better, but here too the voltage drop needs to be corrected, at the same point it measures something different than the gui, I set the calibration.

As for the original software, the compliance is interesting, it is set to 766mA, but it stops the measurement much earlier. I think there are quite a lot of bugs in that program.

theold...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2023, 3:53:06 PM4/23/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com

How do you have this connected? This tube is a single triode, so the Va2 should not be used, and therefore not draw any current.

At a grid voltage of -40V the tube should draw about 275mA at 250V, so lower the grid voltage, and see if you get a better result.

Bill v.

Ihor <iste...@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. ápr. 23., V, 18:09):

You can try an alternative software for uTracer (https://boffin.nl/wp/) that does all those compensations for you automatically. See the screenshots with the red outlines where you would have to put a check mark.

When the compliance is set to some value, for example 500mA, the compliance error means that the uTracer applied the specified voltages during the measurement, but detected that the measured current was going to be more than 500mA (it is done very quickly via PIC interrupts, so nothing else downstream is damaged), and decided not to conduct a proper measurement which takes a bit longed (and might damage the ADC converters) and threw the compliance error.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg

Sándor Filotás

Apr 23, 2023, 4:04:52 PM4/23/23
to uTracer
Hello!
I am waiting for a replacement part, because the anode side does not work, a FET is faulty, until then I measure with Vs, which knows the same as the anode side. 1000v 1A, if we test a double triode in a quick test, it can still be connected this way. So, until the part arrives, I can only measure triodes, at -10 volts with an 80-volt anode, the measurement was 650mA, which is perfect according to the tube's data sheet. It is true that the large voltage drop that bothers you can be corrected