database tube

sigcavallopazzo

Jan 20, 2023, 11:21:28 AM1/20/23
to uTracer
Hi, there is a database of tube to apply utracer? thanks

Hoeberlin

Jan 20, 2023, 5:29:18 PM1/20/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, please look at Frank Pocnet (Google) for Tube Datasheets

Am Freitag, 20. Januar 2023 um 17:21:29 MEZ hat sigcavallopazzo <pazzocome...@gmail.com> Folgendes geschrieben:

Hi, there is a database of tube to apply utracer? thanks

Ihor

Jan 23, 2023, 3:28:43 PM1/23/23
to uTracer
Not exactly related, but probably will be interesting for some members here, or just for the reference :)

and if you check that video, there is really nice implementation of switching "wires" in the tube tester between A S G K H1 H2 contacts and tube pins 1, 2, 3,..,9, at time point 20min 50sec:

Davo

Jan 25, 2023, 2:23:51 AM1/25/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
Lol Ihor!
Yeah i saw that vid a while ago also…
From time to time i watch M. Caldeira’s youtube channel, sometimes he’s got sum interesting diy stuff 👌🏻
But the patch system he uses can be handy if you only use a few tubes, like a guitar player. 12ax7, 12at7, 6l6 or el34 for instance.
But if you use a wide variety of tubes, this system can be quite a pain haha

From all the old testers i like the Max Funke system
His patch system is kinda based on that system also…
I don’t understand why he placed the plug sideways? Not quite handy to read the data…
The Max Funke tester was the best analog system you could have back then… Place a card, fill up all the stamped out holes in the card with plugs to setup the matrix, and you can read all the desired info!

A few years ago i red an article about Max Funke, but the man didn’t get the credits he deserved ✌🏻
The man spended his whole life testing vacuum tubes, and builded a true piece of art with the W19 model…
Quite sad that he had no one to follow him up tho…

Some kinda memory funcation is something that i really miss at all tube testers nowadays
Except the roehrentest, and Nick’s relay matrix…

Grtz Dave

Op 23 jan. 2023 om 21:28 heeft Ihor <iste...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

Not exactly related, but probably will be interesting for some members here, or just for the reference :)

Ihor

Jan 25, 2023, 2:56:17 AM1/25/23
to uTracer
Indeed, it is good only for a predefined set of tubes, but in my case it would work just fine :) I asked the guy about the files for 3D printing of that small cases and she gladly shared with me. So I might try that approach as well :0

Michal Wu

Apr 18, 2023, 11:55:13 AM4/18/23
to uTracer
Hi

Let me use this thread to ask one more question regarding tubes and database.
Can uTracer3+ test all these tubes, provided tube is working within max voltage rating for uTracer3+ which is 400v?

mike

Martin Manning

Apr 18, 2023, 2:32:56 PM4/18/23
to uTracer
Yes, but the uTracer has four available connections, K, G, S, and A, plus heater power. You can test:
Diodes K, A (G and S not used)
Dual diodes K (common), A, S (for A2)
Triodes K, G, A (S not used)
Dual triodes K (common), G (common), A, S (for A2)
Tetrodes K, G, S, A
Pentodes K (supressor grid is tied to K, either internally or externally), G, S, A
Tubes with more elements (pentagrid or heptode e.g.) can be tested, but you will have to determine how the additional elements are to be connected.

Hoeberlin

Apr 18, 2023, 2:37:28 PM4/18/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Michal,

basically yes! As long as the Tube can be tested within the Voltage and Current Limits of the uTracer.

One Exception is with Rectifier Tubes, and with direct heated Tubes, like DF96 ( Heater is 1.5 Volts, 50mA ), where special Precautions or Setups are needed.

Signal Diodes, like EAA91 needs to be tested with low Voltage.

And you can store the Test Parameters for a specific Tube, and recall this setup when you want to Test the same Type of Tube again.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards from Germany,
Henning ( uTracer User since almost 10 Years )

Von der neuen AOL-App für iOS gesendet

Martin Manning

Apr 18, 2023, 3:43:21 PM4/18/23
to uTracer
Good points Henning! I use an external isolated heater supply exclusively to set accurate heater voltages, limit start-up current, and enable testing of tubes with directly heated cathodes. Diodes can be tested with direct connections to the uTracer, but a series resistor can improve the results, at the expense of some post-test calculation to get the actual Va-k.from the measured current and the series resistor value. Diodes with directly heated cathodes are sensitive to heater polarity if a DC supply is used. Averaging opposite polarity measurements is a way around that. I have also used a Variac and a filament transformer to heat the cathodes with AC, and find that the uTracer's averaging of multiple readings is sufficient to get an accurate Ia-Va-k characteristic.

PS My uTracer came alive in August 2013, so I am getting close to the10 year mark too.