Official notice of negative power supply failure problem in uT3+

Martin Manning

Mar 6, 2023, 6:29:48 AM3/6/23
to uTracer
This came up in another (very long) thread, but I'm posting the information from R Dekker's e-mail newsletter of 6 March for easier reference.
Issues_neg_supply.pdf

BHdeC

Mar 6, 2023, 2:38:47 PM3/6/23
to uTracer
Thanks. I am going to implement it on mine asap.

I vaguely recall of the addition of a grid resistor to the tube to protect in case of a short. Does this ring the bell to anyone?
While I am there I might as well add it.

Thanks.
Brice.

theold...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2023, 3:31:26 PM3/6/23
to utr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brice,

Ronald recently put out the following:

uTracer6 grid supply
Although the grid supply of the uTracer6 is pulsed, it appears that sometimes when the grid output is short-circuited, the LTC6090 OpAmp can be damaged. This can be prevented by using a 4k7 resistor in series with the grid connection. This will not affect the measurement and will limit the output current in case of a short circuit. On the positive grid extension board already a 4k7 resistor is provided that can be enabled by removing jumper J3.
In all cases, make sure that jumper J2 on the main uTracer6 board is installed to enable pulsed grid supply operation.

I’m not sure if the same problem exists in the 3+, but adding that resistor should have no negative effects I think.

Bill v

BHdeC

Mar 14, 2023, 10:34:18 PM3/14/23
to uTracer