Sending keystrokes to a specific application

Jonathan Zuck

Oct 20, 2020, 6:32:09 AM10/20/20
to UtilFr
Keyboard Maestro on the Mac (closest analog to Clavier) has a feature to send keys to a specific application, rather than just the active window. I know this is possible under the Windows API but I don't see this as a feature of Clavier. Does someone know otherwise? Thanks!

The use case is that I have a powerpoint presentation, running the background, which is shared via Zoom. I would like to advance the slides without activating PP. Any clues?
Jonathan

Guillaume

Oct 20, 2020, 5:05:35 PM10/20/20
to UtilFr
Clavier+ cannot redirect its output to a currently non-active window.

However you can activate the window to send the output to, tell Clavier+ to use that window e.g. via [{Focus}], then switch back to whatever window should remain active e.g. with a command-line tool (Clavier+ alone cannot do that). Caveat: the windows will flicker.

Jonathan Zuck

Oct 21, 2020, 1:38:03 AM10/21/20
to UtilFr
Thanks. That's what I figured. Interestingly, "activating" a window with Focus doesn't necessarily being it to the foreground so it kinda works.
Jonathan