Question 168

1 view

Bryan Garcia

Mar 7, 2010, 6:42:13 PM3/7/10
to utexas-cs313k-spring2010
doesn't this yield an unbelievably massive number of seconds?

A.J. Gardner

Mar 7, 2010, 7:16:31 PM3/7/10
to Bryan Garcia, utexas-cs313k-spring2010
Well, it's not *completely* unbelievable. But yes.

A.J. Gardner

Mar 7, 2010, 7:21:12 PM3/7/10
to Bryan Garcia, utexas-cs313k-spring2010
But for slightly less-believably large numbers, see the Ackermann
function given reasonable inputs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_function#Expansion

Bryan Garcia

Mar 7, 2010, 7:40:50 PM3/7/10
to utexas-cs313k-spring2010
It really is when the time in years extends beyond our knowledge of
the age of the universe some odd 14 billion years ago.

J Strother Moore

Mar 7, 2010, 10:14:46 PM3/7/10
to wearyddr...@yahoo.com, utexas-cs313...@googlegroups.com
When answering Question 168, I would recommend
using scientific notation to express the answer.
It is useful to express the answer in years. But
I'm not expecting an exact answer, just an
approximate one.