85W Status?

Rob Eckel

Jun 17, 2021, 8:04:51 PM6/17/21
to Utah Soaring
Does anyone know the status of 85W?  Will it be back in service at Nephi for the contest?  As far as I know, it's our only ship with Flarm, which would be great to have available to fly while the contest is active in the area.

I'm available next week to help however I can (towing to Nephi, lending a hand with annual, etc)

Rob Eckel

mi...@mghendron.net

Jun 17, 2021, 8:20:53 PM6/17/21
to Rob Eckel, Utah Soaring

Hey Rob,

Actually the club gliders won’t be able to fly during the contest because this is a sanctioned contest, rather than an OLC event, and all spots are filled. There may be opportunities for some morning flying for checkouts or instruction, but due to the insurance structure and liability of the nationals going on, unfortunately other Nephi flying will be out. This is typical during the non-OCL event years.

Thanks for your willingness to help. I am actually just about to send out the sign-up sheet for the event.

Best,

Mike Hendron

Rob Eckel

Jun 17, 2021, 8:33:28 PM6/17/21
to Utah Soaring
Mike,

I wasn't aware of that limitation with the club gliders and the contest.  I'm actually flying my personal ship in the regional contest, and will have my parents out here crewing for me.  I was hoping to take them up for a ride one day during the 2nd week.  It sounds like I'd have to do it during a time that the national is not flying, either a down day or after it's finished on the 8th?  I assume our other flying sites will also be effectively shut down during the contest due to the tow planes all being in Nephi?

I'm available to help next week, in any case.

Rob

mi...@mghendron.net

Jun 17, 2021, 8:55:09 PM6/17/21
to Rob Eckel, Utah Soaring

That’s right. Glad you do have a flying spot. Yeah, other than a morning flight (which will be somewhat unpredictable and really depend on tow pilot willingness), it would need to be after the 8th (or a down day if we end up with any). Even after regionals end, only the registered gliders in the contest can fly during the competition time. With fatalities, near fatalities, and other less severe mishaps during the events we are taking a very conservative approach.

Best,

Mike