13.5 Y.O. initial glider training?

Michael N.

May 29, 2024, 8:23:46 PMMay 29
to Utah Soaring
My 13 and a half year old grandson Ryder, is looking  into the idea of joining the Air Force when he is out of high school.

I told him about glider flying being a good way to get started in flying and he is very interested.

He lives north of Logan, in Lewiston.

I have signed him up for an SSA junior membership and am interested in next steps for him.

So looking for a potential introductory flight, and next steps.

I should note his interest in aviation has a lot to do with his great grandfather who was a pilot in the European theater of WW2 and was career air force retiring as a major. Ryder has always been fascinated by his great grandfather, since a very young age.

Anyway let me know how to proceed with him. I'd like to get him started in training with the club if possible.

Michael Neal

Bret Hess

May 29, 2024, 8:53:08 PMMay 29
to utah-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike!   For the intro ride you should buy a FAST certificate.  With that he is given a 3 mo introductory membership in the SSA and in our club if he wants to rent the glider for more instruction.  Or he would join as a Full member.  See https://utahsoaring.org/membership/

Bret Johnson

Jun 2, 2024, 10:36:55 PMJun 2
to utah-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,  Bret Hess forwarded me your email about your 13 yr old grandson. My name is Bret Johnson and I am a soaring instructor with the Utah Soaring Association living and flying up here out of the Logan airport. I can definitely give him a ride and help get him started flying the glider. Please have him or his dad give me a call/text and we can arrange things.

Thanks,
Bret  Johnson

Jun 4, 2024, 9:31:10 AMJun 4
to Utah Soaring
Thanks all. Ryder is set up with FAST, via our club. He has received his initial SSA package, log book, handbook, etc.
I have been in contact with both Bret and Robert, so we should have an instructor for him.

Thanks!
Mike