Utah Lake: Any neutral support/rescue?

jchris...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2021, 1:04:08 PM6/19/21
to Utah Randonneuring

Greetings, all. I'm considering coming for the Utah Lake event, but I'm a bit concerned about the forecast, which suggests the no-services segment from ~km 150-200 could have temps approaching 100F with a moderate headwind.

Is anybody planning to have some neutral support along that section? Failing that, I'd like to have some type of rescue option so I can safely abandon if conditions become too extreme. (I would, of course, reimburse.)

Any info/advice welcome. Thanks.

Chris

Ken Moss

Jun 19, 2021, 3:02:53 PM6/19/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris, are you considering the 400k or one of the shorter distances? I also don't do well in the heat (I had to abandon the RR1000k due to heat), so I'm also trying to figure out my strategy.
I think we have the flexibility to do a night time start if everybody would want to do that, although with a 400k I don't know if an evening start helps out very much. If we started at 6PM, then a 20 hour ride would finish at 2PM so we would at least avoid the very hottest part of the day. I really like night riding so I'd be excited about that option, and full moon is Thursday so that would work out well.

Another option would be to ride the lower loop counterclockwise so the stretch with no services happens in the early morning when it's still cool, then we hit the shady climb in the hottest part of the day and also have services thru town when it's hot. I've recently discovered gas station beer closets as the best place to cool off during a hot ride :D

As of today, we don't have anybody lined up for emergency SAG, so hopefully somebody who lives in that area can volunteer.

--
Disclaimer: cycling is enjoyable, but it can also be dangerous. We make no claim that our routes are free from vehicles, bad roads, dogs etc.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jen Kelly

Jun 19, 2021, 4:24:32 PM6/19/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
I've been pondering the heat problem, too.  I would also be in favor of a night start.  It seems like avoiding the very hottest part of the day is the best we can do.  My plan til now had been to have a really long, loungy meal in an air-conditioned restaurant in Lehi.

The reverse course idea also seems like an improvement.  And I am sure to use the beer closet tip someday, quite possibly next Saturday!

jchris...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2021, 4:24:47 PM6/19/21
to Utah Randonneuring
I'm just in for the 200k. :)

A nighttime or early-early-morning start would be fine with me. I'm not planning to arrive in Lehi until ~2pm Friday, so I'd need to tweak my logistics a bit, and I wouldn't want to go directly onto the ride soon after arriving. But I've been riding out as early as midnight down here lately to avoid the worst of the 115-degree days.

A 2am start looks like it would get me back before temps get above 90F, which is a pleasant spring morning in StG. :) And for the 300/400 riders, that would get through the no-services part before the worst of the heat. 6pm Friday wouldn't bother me much, but it would require arriving on Thursday instead. (One possible consideration: Traffic in Orem-Provo might still be challenging that early in the evening.)

If we do decide to change the start time, it would be good to know asap so I can adjust my motel plans if needed. Thanks!

Chris

Ken Moss

Jun 19, 2021, 8:07:34 PM6/19/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'm favoring a 6PM Friday start, that would get everybody out of the canyon before dark and allow most riders to finish the 400k before the worst of the heat on Saturday.

If we go with the overnight ride, I would plan on everybody riding together for safety.

Would anybody else be interested in joining us for the first 200k if we ride overnight? This would be an ideal route to try an overnight ride if you haven't done that before.

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jun 19, 2021, 9:13:13 PM6/19/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

The route is designed to head north, on the west side of Utah Lake in the afternoon as typically, if the seasonal SW winds hold true, you would have a tail wind...but that might not be the case this weekend. But at least it is a heck of a lot flatter than the Zion 200 which you finished earlier this year.

On one hot summer day, for a brevet, I placed a water stash half up that section, but as it turned out, nobody really took advantage of it!

Right now, I have tentative plans to be in Portland OR that weekend. If that changes, I may provide some support. Otherwise, I would recommend carrying a third water bottle or possibly carrying a hydration pack. There is potable water at a church park, 1 block south (off route) in Elberta. Be advised to top off your bottles there.

Cheers,
Richard

We are checking on who might be available that lives locally.

Alex Stewart

Jun 19, 2021, 11:08:56 PM6/19/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
I'd be open to either revised start time. Only problem with the night riding is I'm not confident my single set of lights would cut it for a 200K, so I might have to quickly scrounge up a 2nd set of lights. I've started rides at 3:30am but never done a full overnight ride. Alternatively since I haven't been biking much the past week or two I could be available to provide support instead.
- Alex

Salty & Stupid Cycling LLC

Jun 20, 2021, 12:06:11 AM6/20/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
So when's the start?  I might actually be down with this.  It has a good combination of avoiding ruining Family Breakfast Friday and riding at night, which I kinda like.

-Bobby

--
Bobby Kennedy
Co-owner, Salty & Stupid Cycling

jchris...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2021, 3:22:57 AM6/20/21
to Utah Randonneuring
Overnight is fine with me, but past experience with SLR has shown that my pace usually isn't sufficient to keep up with most of the group, and I wouldn't want others to have to ride at my pace. I'm probably looking at 10-11 hours for the 200k, although night conditions (and new-to-me roads) could push that closer to 12.

Chris

Peter LeCain

Jun 20, 2021, 7:57:39 AM6/20/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
My recovering leg can’t handle a 200k. If that wasn’t the case, I’d be happy to join you all. I really enjoyed the Hobble Creek climb.

• Maximum attach. size is 8 Mb
---

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/utah-randos/CAO653WBw%3DLgJO8M6S9Daai%2BDhcfyfeiRa2DTfd%3D7RVxMS18_bA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
null

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jun 20, 2021, 9:46:48 AM6/20/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Bobby,

The scheduled start is 05:00 on Saturday, but Ken is proposing a Friday 18:00 (6pm) start instead.

~ Richard

Jen Kelly

Jun 21, 2021, 5:56:33 PM6/21/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
It sounds to me like we have critical mass for a Friday 18:00 (6pm) start.  I think we should call that the plan.  See you there!

Byron Welch

Jun 21, 2021, 8:03:04 PM6/21/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
I will go along with the 6 PM start.

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jun 21, 2021, 9:19:33 PM6/21/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
OK, 18:00 hours at Macey's it is! On Friday.

I just received Byron's registration. Great! Bobby, are you in? Did you sign up for a RUSA membership and get a temporary number (starts with a "T")? Others?

I will mail the necessary paperwork to Ken tomorrow, who will be the trail boss. The cut off times may not be reflected in the brevet cards or cue sheets, since this is a last-minute change, but they are listed below.

I have attached cue sheets, which are formatted to print on a legal paper. Ken will have extras in case we have last minute people show up.

RwGPS files—

200K: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36086987. Must finish by 07:30 on Saturday.
300K: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36103952. Must finish by 14:00 on Saturday.
400K: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36087109. Must finish by 21:00 on Saturday. Note, the SLR blog site sometimes caches old files. Use this one!!

Start location is Macey's in Lehi as per this page.

Safe riding to all.

~ Richard

Utah Lake 200 Cues.pdf
Utah Lake 300 Cues.pdf
6-Valley 400 Cues.pdf

Hoyt Robey

Jun 22, 2021, 8:59:41 PM6/22/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
I would like to do the 200k.  Am signing up with the national organization now.

Hoyt Robey

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jun 22, 2021, 10:55:09 PM6/22/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hoyt,

Thanks for your interest in our group and in the 200km distance! Were you interested in the evening start?

At this point, since the start is in the evening, at 18:00 hours, no support is planned, as you would be traveling along long stretch on the west side of Utah Lake in the cool night...in fact few of our brevets have support (hence the cheap registration fee :).

However, we do have a member who lives in P.G. that is on stand-by for emergency SAG (a tip would be appreciated) until 3pm on Saturday. His name is Jay and his mobile number is on the printed cue sheets.

Note to others....with the moderating forecast, are there some of you that would prefer to start at 05:00 on Saturday, instead of Friday night? If so, something can be arranged.

Regards,
Richard

Hoyt Robey

Jun 22, 2021, 10:59:11 PM6/22/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
I am fine with a Friday evening or Sat. AM start, depending on what the group does.

What reflective clothing is required for a night time ride?

Hoyt Robey

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jun 22, 2021, 11:37:36 PM6/22/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
The majority of the group are planning on an evening start.

For reflective stuff see http://www.saltlakerandos.org/rules > scroll down to lighting.

jchris...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2021, 1:15:52 PM6/23/21
to Utah Randonneuring
I'm officially in for the 200k with the 0500 Saturday start. :) (I like night riding, but I just couldn't work out the travel logistics this time.)

I'll plan to stop by the Friday pre-ride session to drop off my paperwork, especially if I'm the only Saturday rider. I'll be using EPP, so I won't have anything to turn in at the end.

Chris

lane

Jun 23, 2021, 5:01:10 PM6/23/21
to Utah Randonneuring
Sorry for the late notice, but I have just registered for your 400. I will drive down from Missoula, Montana on Thursday evening, sleep Friday and be ready to ride at 18:00 Friday.

Thanks for letting me join you. It should be fun.

- Lane Coddington

Ken Moss

Jun 23, 2021, 6:19:22 PM6/23/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, that's great Lane and Chris, I'll look for you Friday at the start. Reminder for everybody that traffic can get bad on the way to the start, so plan some extra time driving down.
Looks like we're actually getting cooler weather so this should be a great ride and we've got a nice sized group riding.

--
Disclaimer: cycling is enjoyable, but it can also be dangerous. We make no claim that our routes are free from vehicles, bad roads, dogs etc.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
• Anybody on this list can post to this e-mail group. Send an email to utah-...@googlegroups.com to join this list.
• Maximum attach. size is 8 Mb
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Utah Randonneuring" group.

Alex Stewart

Jun 23, 2021, 11:05:06 PM6/23/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, my coworker did not inform me that he was leaving for 2 weeks and I am now the solo mechanic on staff at work. So I will not be able to attend this month's ride. Hopefully another time.
- Alex Stewart

Jun 25, 2021, 7:27:07 PM6/25/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Where exactly is the start at the Macey’s?

Hoyt Robey

Richard Stum

Jun 25, 2021, 7:45:25 PM6/25/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
I’m not sure probably the north east corner or north west corner of The parking lot

--
Cheers,
Richard Stum

Living & Working in the Mountains of Central Utah

Rap Sheet:
RandoRichard.com (blog)
rando_richard (Strava)
eogear.com (cycling bags)
kgear.com (camera bags)
@eogear.usa (Instagram & Twitter)
richardwstum, eoGEAR or KinesisPhoto (Facebook)

Excuse any typos or brevity of message as this was input on an itty-bitty iPhone or iPad keypad or, worse yet, transcribed through Siri.

Hoyt Robey

Jun 26, 2021, 12:44:51 PM6/26/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Made it!  Will report my results shortly. Thanks to all who made it a great 200km for a first timer!

Hoyt Robey

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jun 26, 2021, 5:00:06 PM6/26/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!!! I heard you arrived a little late and ended up riding alone? But you were able to finish the whole thing?

~ Richard

Hoyt Robey

Jun 26, 2021, 6:59:28 PM6/26/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Actually I started on time with the group & rode mainly with Ken, Lane & Andrea.

I had to ride with someone that had a bike computer that would illuminate at night & follow the route. Need to upgrade my computer.

Burned through two tubes about 2:30 am but no other problems.

I need to get Ken’s contact info. So I can repay him for the breakfast burrito. Excellent calorie choice that was needed!

I finished with Lane so we had the exact same time (his first 200 of  400 km). Please see the attachments.

Rookie mistakes & observations: arm warmers really are great for night time descents. Always have them not just a jacket. Get a good bike computer if you are doing ultra distance night rides. Have a solid (not flashing tail light) when riding with other riders. Make sure your CO 2 dispenser is easy to use, especially in dark. Don’t underestimate the benefits of riding with others when you can. Everyone is brave and going through something, even if only in their heads. You may feel like quitting at some point but just keep pedaling. You will get there eventually.

10:28:25 total time.

Hoyt Robey

Jay Fichialos

Jun 26, 2021, 11:39:47 PM6/26/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Congrats Hoyt and all! Solid learning and great company.

-Jay Fichialos

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jun 26, 2021, 11:49:09 PM6/26/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
That's right, it was Bobby that rolled in a little late, right? Bobby, what did you finally end up doing?

Hoyt....two tubes by 2:30 am? No fun with that! Glad to hear you were able to stick with others that had a GPS. Back in the day, I had a vinyl envelope attached to my aerobars and a small light attached on top for navigation. Inside was a printed cue sheet. Glad you are learning new stuff. Doing a night 200K is something I have never done before.

Andrea...I guess you finished w/o too much drama (mechanicals or stomach issues)?

Jen....ready for a 600K now?

Sorry to hear of Byron's plight with tire problems.

~ Richard

Jen Kelly

Jun 27, 2021, 1:03:46 AM6/27/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
What an adventure!  I struggled through new issues (unprecedented tummy trouble), received an absolute ton of help, information, and advice, and managed to push through to finish the 400K at 5:03pm today, for a total time of just over 23 hours.

If you like reading ride reports, I posted a full writeup on Strava, which I also hope will count as my electronic proof of passage: https://www.strava.com/activities/5534775947

I am now planning to ride the Raspberry Ramble 600K, currently "interested".

lane

Jun 27, 2021, 8:58:18 AM6/27/21
to Utah Randonneuring
I'm glad I came down to join you. The cool ride up Hobble Canyon was great and the quiet nighttime ride with Hoyt around the lake was magical. The afternoon heat baked me, however. My bike computer register low 90's while crawling up those last hills along that western front.

Thanks for welcoming me and letting me ride with you.

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jun 27, 2021, 11:50:03 AM6/27/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jen,

Thanks for posting your Strava link and yes, that is a perfect way for me to verify your results.

Great report and look forward to meeting you later this season.

Regards,
Richard

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jun 28, 2021, 9:52:32 AM6/28/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Jen and others...on my "show stoppers" blog page I have a section with some references to GI problems. Check out this page and scroll down to #2.

~ Richard

Hoyt Robey

Jun 30, 2021, 7:14:09 PM6/30/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
What is the preferred GPS bike computer for Randos?

Hoyt Robey

On Jun 26, 2021, at 10:44 AM, Hoyt Robey <biking...@gmail.com> wrote:

Made it!  Will report my results shortly. Thanks to all who made it a great 200km for a first timer!

Jason Koon

Jun 30, 2021, 7:24:40 PM6/30/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
between wahoo and garmin i prefer wahoo.. no experience w/other brands

Jen Kelly

Jun 30, 2021, 8:05:53 PM6/30/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
My Garmin Edge had lots of drawbacks for this ride -- mainly, limited navigation, and extra difficulty navigating at night.  That said, it is on the low end of Garmin's product range, so a fancier Garmin might work better.

Ken recommended the Wahoo Elemnt as the choice of ~70% of randos, and I think I'll be getting one soon.

Alan W

Jun 30, 2021, 8:10:29 PM6/30/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
I have used the Garmin 530, Wahoo Roam and Bolt. I prefer the Roam because of it's incredible battery life and auto rerouting. Not to mention how well it integrates with your smart phone.

Alan

benjamin meyerson

Jun 30, 2021, 10:15:10 PM6/30/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
Many folks seem to bag on Garmin for Rando but I love my Garmin Edge Explore.

The Explore is Garmin's more Rando/Touring oriented computer so does not have power or heart rate like the other more training oriented Garmin Edge products but is also significantly less expensive too.

What it does have is a much larger screen than Wahoo which I like, great detail background maps including street names, and flawless turn by turn navigation.  You can get up to 12 hours battery life if you take the time to set it up properly with unnecessary features turned off.

Bright and easy to read at night.  It also has rerouting though I usually keep that turned off to save battery and generally find it unnecessary when following a route.

DC Rainmaker is the definitive source for all things cycling GPS and has incredibly detailed reviews of all the products:

Happy shopping!

ken8...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2021, 1:52:06 PM7/1/21
to benjamin meyerson, utah-...@googlegroups.com
The easy answer is get the Wahoo Element Bolt.

Byron Welch

Jul 1, 2021, 3:38:00 PM7/1/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
After years with Garmin, I went to Wahoo two years ago, mainly due to reliability issues with Garmin on long (400Km+) brevets.  Wahoo has proven much more reliable for me.  However, several friends tell me that Garmin seems to have improved in this regard.

Both will do all the basic functions.  Main differences to me are:
1.  Adjustments to Wahoo screen and other settings mostly go through your phone app.  Takes a little getting used to if you have used Garmin, where it is all on the device, but in the end it is all the same.
2.  Wahoo uses buttons, not touch screens, so no issues with long finger gloves.
3.  IMO the Garmin Connect app is a really nice way to review and keep track of your data, and Wahoo has nothing like it.  There is always Strava, etc, though.
4.  The high end Garmins (1030)  have lots of extra features for training, but I'm not sure how accurate they are or how much the average user is interested.
5.  Wahoo support has been very helpful in my experience, and I'm not sure Garmin is competitive in this regard.

So I second the Wahoo recommendations, especially if you just want reliable basics.  But it is a competitive market, and Garmin seems to be finally putting some effort into their bike stuff.

Second the dcrainmaker reference as well, although I've not the attention span to get through one of his VERY complete reviews.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 11:52 AM <ken8...@gmail.com> wrote:
The easy answer is get the Wahoo Element Bolt.

> On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:15 PM, benjamin meyerson <benjamin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

--
Disclaimer: cycling is enjoyable, but it can also be dangerous. We make no claim that our routes are free from vehicles, bad roads, dogs etc.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
• Anybody on this list can post to this e-mail group. Send an email to utah-...@googlegroups.com to join this list.
• Maximum attach. size is 8 Mb
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Utah Randonneuring" group.

Matt Bell

Jul 2, 2021, 4:59:21 PM7/2/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com

Here's my take:

I've never had a Wahoo, so I can't comment on them, but I have an Edge 1030 and I love it.   I agree with others that Garmin has improved their software a lot in the last few years.  Software has been a traditional weakness for Garmin, but they've closed that gap significantly, if not all the way.

The Edge 1030 has a number of things oriented towards long-distance randonneuring-type riding.

The best thing about the Edge 1030 is that it has excellent battery life.  Supposedly, about 20 hours.   It also has a dedicated supplemental battery available that attaches underneath to the same mount (no cords), and is supposed to give an additional 24 hours of battery life.   Forty-four hours is longer than I can go in a single stretch, so I have always needed a recharge before it does.  On multi-day rides where I have time to sleep, I leave the ride running (while the Garmin is recharging, and while I'm sleeping), so that my Garmin elapsed time for the whole ride is the same as my randonneuring elapsed time.   When I attach all my sensors, plus turn the screen brightness up and never let it go to sleep, the battery life is shorter, but even then, I've never run out of battery, even on a 400 (the longest I've done with no sleep pause).

I like the big screen, and the touch sensitivity seems good even through gloves, although my long-finger gloves are supposed to work on touchscreens, so your mileage may vary.   It can be set to autoscroll through the various screens, and you can configure the screens so that one screen shows all of the data fields that you are most interested in (10 different fields, of any type, including custom types like distance in opposite units*).

I loaded the entire route for the CHC1200 I'm doing in a couple of weeks, then fired it up to verify that it would load, and it did just fine.  I did not have to load it as 4 separate courses as some who are using other cycling computers have said they will need to do.

I have had the mounting tabs break in the past, but Garmin replaced the 1030 with no charge for that, and they said that the new ones have reinforced tabs.  So far, so good.

*Distance in Opposite units= If I have my Garmin set to Statue (miles), the distance in opposite units field shows my distance in km.   If my Garmin were set to Metric, distance in opposite units would show miles.  I find that handy on brevets where I navigate in miles but gauge ride distance in km.

I agree with others about dcrainmaker.   His reviews are really good if you like details.

Matt Bell

Jul 2, 2021, 5:24:35 PM7/2/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm Matt’s review is also all features on for the Garmin 830.  I expect it does the mi vs km too but have never tried that part.

R. Stum ~ Salt Lake Randos

Jul 2, 2021, 7:46:21 PM7/2/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
We shouldn't have started a new thread long ago, but here we go!

Quick thoughts. I use Wahoo ELEMNT (that model is no longer in production). I used to use Sigma but gave up on that brand due to navigation issues. Before that I used a clip-on cue sheet.
  1. Anecdotally, I have heard that some Garmin's sometimes lose the data or history of a ride midway through.
  2. For randonneuring, where variable weather and late nights are probable (read: wearing long finger gloves), I like NOT having a touch screen GPS.
Cheers,
Richard

taylor chivers

Jul 2, 2021, 8:14:14 PM7/2/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com
I’m curious, has anyone had experience with the Lezyne Mega XL? The 48 hour battery life is quite impressive.

Matt Bell

Jul 6, 2021, 1:16:57 PM7/6/21
to utah-...@googlegroups.com

The "opposite units" km vs mi (and m vs ft, mph vs kph, etc) thing is done via a Connect IQ data field.  Any Garmin Edge that supports Connect IQ will support it, which should be most of them, even some older ones.

I suspect other Garmin devices that support Connect IQ will also support the data field, as they are generally small in size and not particularly format-dependent.  Bottom line: might be Garmin-specific, but definitely not Edge 1030 specific.

Matt

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/utah-randos/0AAF0BBA-9C00-44AD-9A9A-9657F814927F%40gmail.com.