Recently heard a fellow HAM say...

K7KHA - Kelvin

Apr 1, 2013, 12:22:57 PM4/1/13
to utah-d-s...@googlegroups.com
D-Star is a dead technology. That's it...no explanation, just drop that bomb and walk away.

Here is why I said, "You're wrong" and went on to say "D-Star may be a dead issue in Utah, but elsewhere it seems to be flourishing" in fact D-Star only seems to be a dead technology along the Wasatch Front. Like so many other modes available to HAMs in Utah, there seems to be a quick adoption by a few and absolute dismissal by many for various reasons. The longest standing complaint is the outright cost of a D-Star compatible Icom radio.

Even though other providers have developed D-Star compatible systems that do not rely on Icom being the manufacturer the perception is that it's too expensive, yet most will spend money on the newest shiny object that catches their eye. I do it too.

Yet with gateway access on KF6RAL and other devices like Internet labs DV products, MoenComm's adapter which enables folks to create a D-Star hotspot, few have been active.

This is the same with IRLP, VHF, UHF and other bands. It seems Wasatch Front HAMs simply don't want to talk on the radio, and the issue is not one of a particular mode like D-star being dead, rather we don't have the time to use the skills we've been licensed for, including modes for which many probably have radio equipment.

So...dust off that D-star...get on that gateway and look for your callsign on http://dstarusers.org/

Here is the call to crawl out of that winter fog and get on the air, VHF, UHF, HF, Packet, PSK31, D-Star, RTTY, IRLP, D-Rats....oh and now....HSMM-MESH, remember we dont' need a disaster or practicing for one to use that radio...

Brian

Apr 1, 2013, 8:01:40 PM4/1/13
to utah-d-s...@googlegroups.com
I'll be on when I drive home tonight.  :)