Using an ID-1 with a Network switch?

K7KHA - Kelvin

Sep 10, 2013, 11:20:07 AM9/10/13
to utah-d-s...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone, with an ID-1, had success using a network switch with their ID-1 or is a crossover cable needed? Assuming it's connected thru the WAN port on the Switch it seems to be rather chatty but I'm having some trouble finding other computers in the 'workgroup.'

K7KHA

John D. Hays

Sep 10, 2013, 12:00:41 PM9/10/13
to K7KHA - Kelvin, Utah D-STAR Users
If you have Windows boxes, it is going to be too much traffic for 128K link.  Most people put in a router (Inexpensive MikroTik routers have all the features of the big commercial jobs).  This allows you to segment one or more LANs and route through the switch to the ID-1.  Many ports are auto-sensing so I typically use straight through cables.

John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM, K7KHA - Kelvin <avia...@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone, with an ID-1, had success using a network switch with their ID-1 or is a crossover cable needed? Assuming it's connected thru the WAN port on the Switch it seems to be rather chatty but I'm having some trouble finding other computers in the 'workgroup.'

K7KHA

Kelvin Anderson

Sep 10, 2013, 12:02:36 PM9/10/13
to John D. Hays, Utah D-STAR Users
Ah....great idea, assuming you can obtain them on Amazon? How's the setup/config easy for a non-network person to manage?

-K