D-star gatway concerns

Brad Wilcox

Jul 25, 2013, 6:46:46 PM7/25/13
to utah-d-s...@googlegroups.com

I have been out of the D-star “thing” for a few years and was re-configuring three D-star radios we have at the EOC.  I was able to finally get the KF6RAL DD module on the ID-1 to work.  It’s nice to have, and a big thanks to all those who have worked and continue to volunteer time and equipment.

Overall, I have not been able to make a gateway connection of any kind.  Just so I’m not running on operator error, like that ever happens, I would just like to clarify a few details.  Let’s say I wanted to link the WR7AAA repeater in Cedar City with the KF6RAL gateway.  Using the ID-1 23cm radio, I set the RPT1 call to KF6RAL A and RPT2 call to KF6RAL G.

Now the URCALL should be set to WR7AAABL to link the “B” module in Cedar.  After the link is established, I change URCALL to CQCQCQ and make a call.  Correct?

Shouldn’t I get an audible, and data message indicating the link has been established?  Furthermore, upon issuing an un-link URCALL=_______U, it audibly tells me “no link established”.

Also, the information, _______I seems to be not working as I once remember it.

So, is it just me, or is the gateway dead?  Not a lot of activity on D*Star.  Has it run its course?

Brad

Kelvin Anderson

Jul 25, 2013, 7:01:31 PM7/25/13
to Brad Wilcox, utah-d-s...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

The repeater and gateway are working. The DD module has some limitations based on the Gateway configuration.

You should get a Link after the command is sent to the repeater, then the CQCQCQ after will enable you to be heard, you are correct on both.

If no link is established it could be that the gateway on either end is down or having problems, trying linking to REF001C which is heavily used and will give some confirmation that the gateway is functioning.

I know John Lloyd is looking at the gateway setup for DD, it's not fully functional to get out to other repeaters yet, but should support local DD traffic, we've been working with a small group on Saturdays to test D-Star, simplex, RPS, and Repeater as well as possibly combining with MESH.

So I know it works.

As does KO7SLC at the Medical Center, and we're working internally at Intermountain to add gateway functionality for this repeater by the end of this year.

If you'd like to test it out I'm available most evenings, in Sandy, but I have good coverage from my place to Farnsworth anc most of the valley.

-Kelvin K7KHA

Brad Wilcox

Jul 26, 2013, 2:27:29 PM7/26/13
to Kelvin Anderson, utah-d-s...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the information.  I will try using it a little more.  I don’t have access to Dstar except during the day, I’m sorry.

image001.png

Kelvin Anderson

Jul 26, 2013, 9:42:28 PM7/26/13
to Brad Wilcox, Brad Wilcox, utah-d-s...@googlegroups.com
I'm in Ogden this evening at a nighttime race, I'm not aware of the KF6RAL gateway being down but it's possible, I can check when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone