Design calculation assistance required.

Mr.Muppster

Jan 16, 2007, 1:04:16 PM1/16/07
Hi all

Hopefully someone can help me with a slight design problem as I'm out of the
office & don't have my handbook with me.

Basically we have a tank roof made up of radial rafters (60 no. off) meeting
at a centre compression ring.
The compression ring is made up of a top plate (donut type), a bottom plate
(donut type) & a circumferential inner ring.

The rafters fall in between the outer & inner diameter of the donut plates.

I need to calculate the stress acting on the centre ring. Anyone able to
point me towards a formula that may be of use?

Basic details (ASTM A36):
60 no. off rafters (spaced 6 deg. apart) - W460x74 kg/m finishing 2500mm
from centre line
1 off top plate - 5800mm outside dia.x 4374 inside dia. x 19.05 mm thick
1 off bottom plate - 5800mm outside dia.x 4326 inside dia. x 25.4 mm thick
1 off circ ring - 4350mm inside dia. x 456mm deep x 25.4mm thick

Thrust is approximately 194.739 KN
Rafter welded to top & bottom plates approx. 400mm lap.

Anyone any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Mr.M