USPEX WARNING : Permutation : Failed to do Permutation in 50 attempts, switch to Random!

Natalia Koval

Jul 18, 2018, 8:05:09 AM7/18/18
to USPEX
Dear all,

I am using USPEX for a while now, but today I encountered a new kind of error for the first time.
In this new run I used the following variation operators (it is a 300 run):

*          VARIATION OPERATORS           *
0.40  : fracGene (fraction of generation produced by heredity)
0.10  : fracRand (fraction of generation produced by symmetric random)
0.10  : fracAtomsMut (fraction of the generation produced by softmutation)
0.20  : fracLatMut (fraction of the generation produced by latmutation)
0.20  : fracPerm
%%15    : howManySwaps
1     : AutoFrac

But different from usual, I switched off the "howManySwaps" tag so the USPEX uses the default value.

After two generations, no structures were produced by permutation and I get the error messages:

===== USPEX WARNING @ 8:41:18 18-Jul-2018 =====
Permutation : Failed to do Permutation in 50 attempts, switch to Random!

And once the same error for the lattice mutations:

===== USPEX WARNING @ 1:56:18 18-Jul-2018 =====
LatticeMutation : Failed to do LatMutation in 50 attempts, switch to Random!

Is the reason for that the use of the default value of the number of swaps or it can be something else?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Best regards,

Natalia

Xuyan Shen

Jun 20, 2024, 11:19:32 PMJun 20
to USPEX
Hi  Natalia,

Could you tell me how you solve this finally?

Regards,
Xuyan

natalja...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2024, 3:53:50 AMJun 21
to USPEX
Dear Xuyan,

the solution was to set the howManySwaps parameter explicitly instead of relying on the default. I cannot tell you the exact value I used as it was a while ago.

Best regards,

Natalia

Xuyan Shen

Jun 21, 2024, 5:26:12 AMJun 21
to USPEX
Dear Natalia,

Thanks for your help. I actully know the idea to solve from your reply. And I has an another small question is  that  ,  the mutation would report the error as "Mutation : Failed to do Mutation in 50 attempts, switch to Random!" though I set the fracgene is 1.00 and the other is 0.00.  Like the permutation, what the parameter control the heredity process? Just didnot find them.

Regards,
Xuyan