How many hands in the pot?

Alicia Sturdy

Mar 1, 2023, 11:07:40 AM3/1/23
to Using Ministry Scheduler Pro

Do you work on putting together and maintaining the schedule by yourself, or are others involved?

If others are involved, what are some things you do to ensure scheduling goes smoothly?

Albie Bell

Mar 1, 2023, 1:24:28 PM3/1/23
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com
I would say I use both.
I utilize Ministry leaders to maintain their rosters, and deal with any issues that relate to members in their ministry.
When it comes to scheduling, only 1 cook in the kitchen.  Prior to that I usually check in with each ministry leader to ensure the services are set for the needs and that they have adjusted any teams, etc.  Once past that point, the actual scheduling function is a one person activity until the schedule is live.  Way too many small details to worry about others tinkering at the same time.

Albie Bell
Head Verger & Scheduler
Christ Church Cranbrook

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 11:07 AM Alicia Sturdy <ali...@rotundasoftware.com> wrote:

Do you work on putting together and maintaining the schedule by yourself, or are others involved?

If others are involved, what are some things you do to ensure scheduling goes smoothly?

Alicia Sturdy

Mar 1, 2023, 3:39:42 PM3/1/23
to Using Ministry Scheduler Pro
Tell me a little bit about how your Leaders are involved - when you say they make adjustments to teams, what do you mean? Do they put in the away dates for their volunteers in their groups - or are you actually scheduling set teams every schedule?

Barbara Liles

Mar 1, 2023, 3:39:46 PM3/1/23
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com

Total of 3 have their hands in the pot.

Albie Bell

Mar 1, 2023, 4:37:21 PM3/1/23
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com
Particularly with our Ushers, who work in teams on a standard week of the month basis, the ministry leader will use the Web admin view to update the members of those teams.  If we are talking about making improvements... I would love to have Ministry Leaders with Web Admin access but only for their ministries.  Currently, to make adjustments to teams I need to provide Web Admin access but that gives away all the keys to the castle....

Alicia Sturdy

Mar 2, 2023, 10:42:55 AM3/2/23
to Using Ministry Scheduler Pro
Morning Albie! Thanks for that suggestion, I'm going to add it to the feature requests to consider for Leaders because I think that's a great idea. Curious, how often do your teams change where the Leaders have to go in and adjust?  (PS, I love your little profile picture, makes me smile!)

Alicia Sturdy

Mar 2, 2023, 10:42:57 AM3/2/23
to Using Ministry Scheduler Pro
Hi Barbara! Are one of them you? Or do you manage the other 3?

Albie Bell

Mar 2, 2023, 11:20:51 AM3/2/23
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com
The leader probably changes a few teams every scheduling period, we probably have 4-6 periods a year.

Barbara Liles

Mar 2, 2023, 4:03:32 PM3/2/23
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com

I am the primary administrator with 1 individual handling the sacristans.  I have been training one other person on the system.

Alicia Sturdy

Mar 3, 2023, 5:04:53 PM3/3/23
to Using Ministry Scheduler Pro
Hi Albie!

Ah, I see; that makes sense! Thanks for sharing your process; it's interesting to hear about!

Alicia Sturdy

Mar 3, 2023, 5:04:57 PM3/3/23
to Using Ministry Scheduler Pro
Hi Barbara, thanks for sharing! Do you have a specific order you schedule in (ie. does the sacristan scheduler do their schedule first, then you?) or is there anything that gets done to make it easier to share a schedule?

Lynn Pechiney

Mar 3, 2023, 5:29:38 PM3/3/23
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com
I am the main Admin, but each ministry leader edits their own schedule. We have a large parish, so 4 admins with 2 of us also being ministry leaders, and maybe 12 additional ministry leaders. We run four schedules a year, and give a two week editing period for everyone to get finished before going live. Most of the time it works great.
Albie, our ministry leaders all have access to the Admin for their ministry only through the Admin tab in the Web Terminal. They can make changes to profiles and then I "approve" the changes in Web Admin on the web forms page. Are yours not able to be set up that way?

Lynn Pechiney
Program Coordinator
All Saints Youth Ministry

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." ~ Francis of Assisi

NOTICE:  The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for use by the intended recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you have received this communication in error, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Barbara Liles

Mar 6, 2023, 2:09:57 PM3/6/23
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com

I notify the sacristan when the next schedule will be prepared and he schedules the sacristans.  This is done ahead of my running the schedule because some of the sacristans also participate in other ministries that I am responsible for.  We run a 3-month schedule and ministers notified of the time frame and are asked to enter their unavailable dates 2-3 weeks ahead of the schedule being created.

I  have been experiencing issues on the last two schedules with  one minister who gets scheduled at an 11:00 Mass when she only goes to 4:00 which is her preferred time.  This has caused me to go in and manually enter assignments to another person.  Another issue is when ministers are scheduled to serve at a weekday 9:00 Mass, they are not getting scheduled on the weekend which can cause discontent with some.  Is there a way to override that?  The majority of my ministers serve in more than one ministry and appear to be getting assigned only to the same ministry every weekend.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide to correct the situations.

Thank you,

Barb

Albie Bell

Mar 13, 2023, 2:10:40 PM3/13/23
to using-ministry...@googlegroups.com
Lots going on in this situation, days between serving, service preferences vs. overrides for preferences, maybe schedule ministry autonomously, a good situation to email rotunda and send your files to them