Ushahidi research seminar: 11 November 16:00 EAT

Heather Ford

Oct 22, 2011, 2:59:38 AM10/22/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm Heather Ford, Ushahidi/SwiftRiver ethnographer researching verification and source management on open collaborative and crowdsourced platforms.

We know that the list has been silent for a while but we'd like to change that. Our research capacity is still small at Ushahidi, but we know that there are a host of new projects to research Ushahidi and Ushahidi-related subjects and we can definitely benefit from sharing what we're doing with one another here.

To kick this off, we're hosting a seminar (virtually and in person in Nairobi) where we'll introduce some of the projects we (and our sister project at iHub Research) are involved with. We'll talk about some of our challenges and learnings, and then open it up to you to ask any questions and/or discuss areas of opportunity for collaboration in the future. The seminar is happening on 11 November from 16:00 - 17:30 EAT and will also be recorded for those of you who can't make it in person. You can sign up at: http://www.meetup.com/Ushahidi-Community/events/37206692/

To make the most of our limited time here, we thought it would be good to introduce ourselves here and perhaps talk about the research you're doing or are interested in doing, + any ideas you may have about how we can share information better. We will soon have a wiki to post projects, but will be good to do introductions here first.

So, please send a mail with an introduction. Also feel free to post questions to the group, challenges, events you're speaking at, resources you've found etc.

We're looking forward to the conversation!

Best,
Heather.

Heather Ford
Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
@hfordsa on Twitter
http://hblog.org

Lukas Kubina

Oct 25, 2011, 12:53:26 PM10/25/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'm Lukas Kubina,29, associate at DLD conference, political scientist
and economic geographer by education, and PDH candidate at Hamburg
University. My research aims to investigate how collective
intelligence can contribute to the solution of crises situations, how
such rare events trigger organizational learning and drive drastic
change in the work of organizations as well as if they induce
technological innovation . Naturally, Ushahidi is a key case study.

Looking forward to learn more and be part of this conversation.

Best,
Lukas

Maria Grabowski Kjær

Oct 30, 2011, 6:33:44 AM10/30/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

I'm Maria Grabowski, 26, based in Copenhagen Denmark - I write and edit audio for Global Voices Online and I'm also the web editor of a Danish environmental organisation, Forests of the World.

I am currently an Ushahidi (Swiftriver) Research Intern as a part of my MSc in Social Anthropology. In this field study, I explore how users of Ushahidi communicate, organize and mobilize as a network online, and how this type of ‘cyberactivism’ propagates to people on the ground. I'm interested in how technology can be used in creating social change.

Look forward to learn from your ideas and projects.

Best,
Maria

2011/10/25 Lukas Kubina <luk.k...@googlemail.com>

--
MARIA GRABOWSKI KJÆR
Mobile: (Denmark) +45 2181 4840

Jennifer Chan

Oct 30, 2011, 1:37:20 PM10/30/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Glad to meet the group over email and thank you Heather for starting these conversations!

I'm Jennifer Chan, an associate faculty member at the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative.  I research the interface between the crisis mapping community and technology influenced info sharing platforms and the humanitarian community. I'm also consultant for humanitarian NGOs in assessments and evaluations.

I've collaborated with Ushahidi to help learn more about user experiences with Ushahidi platforms and helped build a framework for self evaluating projects. We've also worked together to build learning tools for the community. My research focuses on participatory influenced processes, translating research in to practice, and pattern analysis.

I hope to meet you all virtually or in person soon!

Jennifer Chan

Jennifer Chan, MD, MPH
Associate Faculty/Harvard Humanitarian Initiative
Director, Global Emergency Medicine
Assistant Professor/Department of Emergency Medicine
Northwestern Memorial Hospital/Northwestern University
www.hhi.harvard.edu
jlc...@gmail.com
skype: jlc763

Heather Ford

Nov 3, 2011, 5:12:21 AM11/3/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for your introductions, Jennifer, Maria!

I noticed a couple of people joining. Please introduce yourselves :)

I just started a Mendeley group for us to share research papers about/related to Ushahidi: http://www.mendeley.com/groups/1583283/ushahidi/

Feel free to join and add papers that you find!

Best,
Heather.

Sam Burton

Nov 3, 2011, 7:57:03 AM11/3/11
to Ushahidi Research Community
Hello everyone!

I'm Samantha Burton, a Canadian research and communications consultant
currently working with the Aga Khan University in Nairobi, Kenya. I
just completed by MA in Communication at Carleton University and my
academic background is in Communication Studies, with a focus on
ICT4D. I'm fascinated by the uses of technologies in crisis situations
and would like to learn more more about (and perhaps get involved
with) research being done about/related to Ushahidi--as well as in
connecting with others who share my interests!

Looking forward to chatting with and learning from you all!

Best,
Samantha

www.samanthaburton.com | @ASamBurton | con...@samanthaburton.com
> Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiverhttp://ushahidi.com|http://swiftly.org
> @hfordsa on Twitterhttp://hblog.org

Clara Straimer

Nov 3, 2011, 6:46:24 PM11/3/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Thank you for the prompt Heather :) I am working as a GIS intern at the British Red Cross at the moment but am also personally interested in Ushahidi-related initiatives from an academic perspective.

I have a masters in refugee studies so I am quite interested in the the displacement-related capacities of crisis mapping - in particular questions about participatory emergency response planning and the practical challenges associated with it. Making participation possible for beneficiaries is something I am quite passionate about. With this hat on, I am also involved in the Oxford Monitor of Forced Migration (oxmofm.com), an online student journal, where I'm publishing articles written by refugees, who are monitoring the work of humanitarian agencies or the human rights situation on the ground.

Enough about myself, I am sure I can learn a lot more from you guys than the other way around, so I'm just interested in keeping up to date with the discussions and evaluation of Ushahidi's activities through this forum!

All the best,
Clara

Patrick Meier (iRevolution)

Nov 4, 2011, 1:32:21 PM11/4/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Thanks for the spark, Heather! : ) I work for Ushahidi as Director of Crisis Mapping and just completed my dissertation which focused on the use of the Ushahidi platform in Egypt and the Sudan. More info on all this here: http://iRevolution.net/bio

Cheers,
Patrick

King'ori J. Maina

Nov 4, 2011, 4:14:19 PM11/4/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Avid follower of Ushahidi activities from a far. Just recently became interested in crowd-sourcing and trying to understand how valid is crowd-sourced data and how can we verify it. I hope this meeting will be my first opportunity at understanding more.

Regards,
King'ori J. Maina,

w: kingori.co
t: @itsmrwave
s: kingorimaina
w: imw.vdwave.com
l: ke.linkedin.com/in/jobkingori

k: w = website, t = twitter, s = skype, l = linkedin, k = key.

Jaroslav Valuch

Nov 5, 2011, 7:47:00 AM11/5/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am Jaro, bad researcher, but enjoying very much fieldwork with toys like ushahidi and very interested in any lessons/experiences sharing. I was with Ushahidi Haiti Project (field rep in Haiti), currently excited about grassrootsmapping and new media literacy building with activists and nonprofits in CEE, Balkans and postSoviet region,

cheers

J.

tim kochanski

Nov 5, 2011, 7:37:24 PM11/5/11
to ushahidi...@googlegroups.com
Hi I'm Tim,
I'm a doctoral student in Systems Science at Portland State University.  I am generally interested in complex social systems and public policy for a sustainable planet.  Currently finishing comprehensive exams.  Looking forward to tuning in next week.

--Tim
--
Tim Kochanski M.S.