Retention pond!

Himanshu Gohel

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
OK, so what do you guys think about the retention pond which
will close down Laurel drive? [re: today's Oracle, 11/25/98]

This cuts off one more routine to get from North/South side of the
campus to the other.

Why can't Laurel be kept open, and just the retention pond go under
the road for just that portion? Makes good sense to me...

--
Himanshu Gohel, mailto:go...@csee.usf.eduXXX | remove XXX to reply
<A HREF="http://www.csee.usf.edu/~gohel/"></A> |

Rochester

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98

I thought there already were speed bumps in front of Moffitt.

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Paul T. Jantzen wrote:

> I don't know whether (as someone who's been around here as long as I
> have) you remember, but they've been discussing this option since I was
> a freshman undergrad - something like twelve or thirteen years. IMHO
> it's not a bad idea on it's face, but I'm concerned that this change'll
> turn Magnolia Drive (the one that runs in front of Moffitt) into more of
> a drag strip than it is now. My only hope here (and I know how much you
> hate 'em, but it's my neck on the line) is that speed bumps'll be
> installed around the crosswalks on Magnolia.
>
> My $0.02
> Paul.
>
> FWIW, haven't seen the Orifice article yet, but will at my first
> opportunity.

"Silly Robert, hollow points are for meddlers..."

"Wit is the only wall Robert Fernandez
Between us and the dark." rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu
- Mark Van Doren http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~rfernand
AIM: Gamaliel8

Paul T. Jantzen

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
Himanshu Gohel wrote:

> OK, so what do you guys think about the retention pond which
> will close down Laurel drive? [re: today's Oracle, 11/25/98]
>
> This cuts off one more routine to get from North/South side of the
> campus to the other.
>
> Why can't Laurel be kept open, and just the retention pond go under
> the road for just that portion? Makes good sense to me...

I don't know whether (as someone who's been around here as long as I

Paul T. Jantzen

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
Rochester wrote:

> I thought there already were speed bumps in front of Moffitt.

There are - but _only_ in front of the Moffitt entrance - there is no
access to anything west of the Moffitt entrance from there - they
(Moffitt) keeps putting up double and quadruple wide trailers for use as
offices, blocking any and all sidewalk access from there. Besides,
traffic on Magnolia south of those speed bumps is typically in excess of
40mph - although I bicycle, I also drive, and have clocked traffic both
ways.

Paul.

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
Paul T. Jantzen (pjan...@com1.med.usf.edu) wrote:

: Rochester wrote:
: > I thought there already were speed bumps in front of Moffitt.
: There are - but _only_ in front of the Moffitt entrance - there is no

That's the only major building structure on Magnolia. I don't see need for
more speed bumps. That's the only major crosswalk I believe, too. Jaywalking
is not my problem.

: access to anything west of the Moffitt entrance from there - they

: (Moffitt) keeps putting up double and quadruple wide trailers for use as
: offices, blocking any and all sidewalk access from there. Besides,

Sounds like bad design there. Moving a trailer is probably less costly than
making speed bumps. Even if USF is so cheap they don't bother with
their new speed bumps to put reflectors or warning signs up - making it near
impossible to see in the dark for some of them. (White diagonal lines are not
painted in reflective paint either. Come on, USF, you risk people doing less
than the speed limit itself end up with suspension damage due to running over
these Volkswagon-sized bumps...)

: traffic on Magnolia south of those speed bumps is typically in excess of

: 40mph - although I bicycle, I also drive, and have clocked traffic both
: ways.

I have seen many a police officer sit in front of the engineering lot,
and no one pulled over. Typically they clock for +10. Personally I haven't
seen excess of 40 in that section (30), though I do see 30ish in the 15
section before Moffit. It is almost impossible to go over 40 on Magnolia due
to its twists and blind turns. Plus, there's nothing there. Is there any
reason to be concerned about speeds when the only major thing between Moffit
and Alumni Dr. is a parking lot exit w/ a stoplight?

That said, I'm glad they are splitting Laurel in some ways. Laurel is in need
of some major repair (and a stoplight exit to Alumni Dr.) - its N/S access
really is not of much use to me or many others (with all the potholes, etc.).
Frankly this may get rid of the only real spot at USF where I've seen several
accidents.

--
Chad Gould / Soundwave / cgo...@gate.net
http://tilt.largo.fl.us/ - MST3K / Samples / Synth FAQ / More...

Rochester

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98

i think the last thing we need on this campus are fewer roads and more
speed bumps.

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Paul T. Jantzen wrote:

> Rochester wrote:
> >
> > I thought there already were speed bumps in front of Moffitt.
>
> There are - but _only_ in front of the Moffitt entrance - there is no

> access to anything west of the Moffitt entrance from there - they
> (Moffitt) keeps putting up double and quadruple wide trailers for use as
> offices, blocking any and all sidewalk access from there. Besides,

> traffic on Magnolia south of those speed bumps is typically in excess of
> 40mph - although I bicycle, I also drive, and have clocked traffic both
> ways.
>

> Paul.

Himanshu Gohel

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
In article <73huc0$bnl$1...@news.usf.edu>, go...@babbage.csee.usf.edu (Soundwave [Chad Gould]) writes:

>Paul T. Jantzen (pjan...@com1.med.usf.edu) wrote:
>: Rochester wrote:
>: > I thought there already were speed bumps in front of Moffitt.
>: There are - but _only_ in front of the Moffitt entrance - there is no
>
>That's the only major building structure on Magnolia. I don't see need for
>more speed bumps. That's the only major crosswalk I believe, too.

I'm pretty sure with an entrance to the parking lot on Magnolia
(as the Oracle says), a pedestrian crosswalk will follow, and as
has been the norm lately, two more Volkswagens will be buried
on either side :)

>than the speed limit itself end up with suspension damage due to running over
>these Volkswagon-sized bumps...)

:) :) I agree. Have you seen the sign near the new bumps in front
of ENB? The crosswalk sign is the normal size, but the sign that
says "Speed Bump Ahead" is about the size of a legal pad! It is
guaranteed to be missed by many drivers...I've heard drivers cursing
as they hit the the bottom of their cars on it, even at slow speeds.
Other speed bump signs around campus are much, much bigger.

>: 40mph - although I bicycle, I also drive, and have clocked traffic both
>: ways.

Paul I agree, it is fast, but the road has little pedestrian traffic, and
only moderate bicycle traffic, and there are bicycle lanes, so I don't
see a big problem, do you?

>That said, I'm glad they are splitting Laurel in some ways. Laurel is in need
>of some major repair (and a stoplight exit to Alumni Dr.) - its N/S access
>really is not of much use to me or many others (with all the potholes, etc.).

My suscpicion all along was that Laurel was not being fixed due to
some agenda that was going to be soon carried out, and that was
apparently true...if the road was better, I'm sure more people would
be using it! Sometimes I avoid it just for that reason, but now
my car is old and it doesn't make a difference any more :)

>Frankly this may get rid of the only real spot at USF where I've seen several
>accidents.

I'm not sure about that...many of the cars at that intersection
are coming out of the Engineering parking lots, and that's still going
to be true...in fact, now that cars won't be going from the Eng.
parking lot the other way towards the Fine Arts, they will all be
coming out into the dreaded intersection.

pjantzen

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98

Himanshu Gohel wrote:

> Paul I agree, it is fast, but the road has little pedestrian traffic, and
> only moderate bicycle traffic, and there are bicycle lanes, so I don't
> see a big problem, do you?

Yup, I do. The problem is not _on_ the road - those are the best and
safest bicycle lanes on the campus. If only there were a safe way to
get _to_ them. My concern is traffic while crossing Magnolia - believe
it or not, I am only rarely alone on that particular sidewalk (between
LSA and the parking lot south of the Moffitt Child Care Center) and
those occasions it's only going to or leaving the lab in the wee hours
when auto traffic is also at a minimum. I am wary, wily, and above all,
offensive (in the context of proactive, rather than unpleasant) so I've
yet to get hit crossing that road, but I certainly see that as a
pedestrian/bicycle accident hotspot once traffic is boosted on Magnolia.

I hate speed bumps as much (if not more, considering that I have to go
over those %$^$%&^^& things on a bicycle, and I ain't exactly padded
where it would be necessary) as the rest of you - my concern lies in my
own neck (which has been opened once already by a careless driver, but
I'll leave that for another story) and the necks of everyone else who
has to cross Magnolia.

Well, I'm out of here for Turkey Day - if I don't respond to anything in
particular, it's because I'm on the other side of the state.

Happy Turkey Day, if you celebrate it, otherwise enjoy the long weekend,
Paul.

pjantzen

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98

"Soundwave [Chad Gould]" wrote:

> Paul T. Jantzen (pjan...@com1.med.usf.edu) wrote:
> : Rochester wrote:
> : > I thought there already were speed bumps in front of Moffitt.
> : There are - but _only_ in front of the Moffitt entrance - there is no
>
> That's the only major building structure on Magnolia. I don't see need for

> more speed bumps. That's the only major crosswalk I believe, too. Jaywalking
> is not my problem.

Ay, there's the rub. Most folks don't realize that while Moffitt is the
only visible structure on Magnolia, the primary entrance to the College
of Medicine and the College of Nursing, as well as access to Shriner's
Hospital and access by bicycle from west to southwest of campus is at
that crosswalk. Heck, most folks on this campus couldn't even give
directions to the Health Sciences complex if asked.

I suppose I'm a bit biased, considering I've found that that's the most
contentious road crossing I have to make during my daily commute
(including Fowler and 56th Street, FWIW).

Ah well, happy turkey day. And watch out for pedestrians and bicycles
while you're out on the road.

Paul.

Matthew Clark

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98

Himanshu Gohel wrote in message <73h7f6$3c7$1...@news.usf.edu>...

>Why can't Laurel be kept open, and just the retention pond go under
>the road for just that portion? Makes good sense to me...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You've just answered your own question. ;-)

Matt

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98

: > : Rochester wrote:
: > : > I thought there already were speed bumps in front of Moffitt.
: > : There are - but _only_ in front of the Moffitt entrance - there is no
: > That's the only major building structure on Magnolia. I don't see need for
: > more speed bumps. That's the only major crosswalk I believe, too. Jaywalking
: > is not my problem.
: Ay, there's the rub. Most folks don't realize that while Moffitt is the
: only visible structure on Magnolia, the primary entrance to the College
: of Medicine and the College of Nursing, as well as access to Shriner's
: Hospital and access by bicycle from west to southwest of campus is at
: that crosswalk. Heck, most folks on this campus couldn't even give
: directions to the Health Sciences complex if asked.

OK. However, there are speed bumps there already, plus a 15mph speed limit
that most people do seem to ignore. I'm surprised the police don't ticket
there sometime....

: Ah well, happy turkey day. And watch out for pedestrians and bicycles

: while you're out on the road.

It's always a good idea to do this. (:

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
Himanshu Gohel (go...@csee.usf.eduXXX) wrote:
: In article <73huc0$bnl$1...@news.usf.edu>, go...@babbage.csee.usf.edu (Soundwave [Chad Gould]) writes:
: >than the speed limit itself end up with suspension damage due to running over

: >these Volkswagon-sized bumps...)
: :) :) I agree. Have you seen the sign near the new bumps in front
: of ENB? The crosswalk sign is the normal size, but the sign that
: says "Speed Bump Ahead" is about the size of a legal pad! It is
: guaranteed to be missed by many drivers...I've heard drivers cursing

Very much... I nearly missed it the first time I drove in the dark... they
are very hard to see. Traditionally speed bumps have been either painted
bright colors (ie yellow) or have lots of reflectors on them for this reason.
Some of the older speed bumps are fine in this regards, but the new ones
often don't...

: >Frankly this may get rid of the only real spot at USF where I've seen several

: >accidents.
: I'm not sure about that...many of the cars at that intersection
: are coming out of the Engineering parking lots, and that's still going
: to be true...in fact, now that cars won't be going from the Eng.
: parking lot the other way towards the Fine Arts, they will all be
: coming out into the dreaded intersection.

Mmm... true... I was thinking part of the traffic was fine arts, or there
would be an alternative to crossing over to Magnolia (with a stoplight)... but
I guess not...

Rochester

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
On 26 Nov 1998, Soundwave [Chad Gould] wrote:

> OK. However, there are speed bumps there already, plus a 15mph speed limit
> that most people do seem to ignore. I'm surprised the police don't ticket
> there sometime....

Maybe because they think that a 15mph speed limit is just as stupid as we
do.

Paul T. Jantzen

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98

Himanshu Gohel wrote:

> OK, so what do you guys think about the retention pond which
> will close down Laurel drive? [re: today's Oracle, 11/25/98]

Okay, now I've seen the schematic of the proposed change from last
week's Oracle - no matter how you cut it, any route across campus via
sidewalk has been eliminated - I'll either have to resort to riding
surface streets or take an excessive detour and jump curbs to get to my
office.

Paul.
Who thinks the office should be called "Facilities Lack-of-Planning"

David Hubbard

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
Paul T. Jantzen wrote:

> There are - but _only_ in front of the Moffitt entrance - there is no

> access to anything west of the Moffitt entrance from there - they
> (Moffitt) keeps putting up double and quadruple wide trailers for use as
> offices, blocking any and all sidewalk access from there. Besides,
> traffic on Magnolia south of those speed bumps is typically in excess of

> 40mph - although I bicycle, I also drive, and have clocked traffic both
> ways.

40mph? I'd say at least 50, that's how fast I drive on it. :-)

Dave

Himanshu Gohel

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
In article <3662F508...@com1.med.usf.edu>, "Paul T. Jantzen" <pjan...@com1.med.usf.edu> writes:

>Himanshu Gohel wrote:
>> OK, so what do you guys think about the retention pond which
>> will close down Laurel drive? [re: today's Oracle, 11/25/98]
>
>Okay, now I've seen the schematic of the proposed change from last
>week's Oracle - no matter how you cut it, any route across campus via
>sidewalk has been eliminated - I'll either have to resort to riding

So how about a letter to the Oracle...?

pjantzen

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98

Himanshu Gohel wrote:

> So how about a letter to the Oracle...?

Working on it - anyone out the in TV-land know which engineer over at
Facilities Planning is in charge of the project? I'd rather base a
letter on fact rather than an admittedly jaded interpretation of a
fuzzy picture from the Oracle.

Paul.

Cavoli Riscaldati

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
On 1 Dec 1998, Himanshu Gohel wrote:

> So how about a letter to the Oracle...?

Don't look at me. :P

"A poet is always in love, even Robert Fernandez
during his most miserable moments." rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu
-Tom Hart http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~rfernand
"Hutch Owen's Working Hard" AIM: Gamaliel8

Himanshu Gohel

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
In article <36648156...@com1.med.usf.edu>, pjantzen <pjan...@com1.med.usf.edu> writes:
> Working on it - anyone out the in TV-land know which engineer over at
> Facilities Planning is in charge of the project? I'd rather base a
> letter on fact rather than an admittedly jaded interpretation of a
> fuzzy picture from the Oracle.

Or one could tip the Oracle staff on this topic and let them to the leg-work.
Your views may not propogate through in that case though...

(but to answer your question...no idea who does the planning/engineering)

Cavoli Riscaldati

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98

What do you want the Oracle to know? I'll take care of it....lol

And Joe Humphrey does read this list from time to time.

"A poet is always in love, even Robert Fernandez

Suzanne M. Saunders

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Cavoli Riscaldati wrote:
>What do you want the Oracle to know? I'll take care of it....lol
>And Joe Humphrey does read this list from time to time.
<picky teacher of things net-related>usf.misc is not a mailing
list; it's a newsgroup and hence should not be referred to as a
"list"</picky>. Sorry, but so many students make that mixup that it
really gets on my nerves.
Suzanne

Suzanne Marie Saunders * "I hate my life." --Jim
segn...@geocities.com * "I hate your life too." --Gonzo
* "If I had a life, I'd hate it." --Rizzo
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/1311/ --Muppet Treasure Island

Cavoli Riscaldati

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98

You're right, of course. You're also being nitpicky. :P

This group is so low traffic these days. I spend most of my time reading
and replying to listserv mail, so that's why I wrote that without
thinking.

Not much of a "group" if hardly anyone says anything...

"I think I got the monkey Robert Fernandez
but I haven't tried it yet." rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu
-Amy http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~rfernand
AIM: Gamaliel8

Vicki Andrews

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98

Cavoli Riscaldati wrote in message ...

>You're right, of course. You're also being nitpicky. :P
>
>This group is so low traffic these days. I spend most of my time reading
>and replying to listserv mail, so that's why I wrote that without
>thinking.
>
>Not much of a "group" if hardly anyone says anything...

Okay, okay...I finally got my newsreader working again. I know the "group"
is out there, aren't you guys?

Part of the "old group" is working with me now - Dave Pinero and Dennis
Guillette.

I didn't even realize the "Retention Pond" issue until I read the group this
morning. Nice to "see you" Matt and Chad...seems like old times.

Himanshu Gohel

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98

rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu asked:
?
? What do you want the Oracle to know? I'll take care of it....lol
?

If Paul is writing a letter/column, then there's no need, but basically
to make the Oracle aware of the hardship that's going to be created
because this N/S route on campus is being cut off! (all the discussion
on this group about the same...)

Paul T. Jantzen

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98

Himanshu Gohel wrote:

> rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu asked:
> ?
> ? What do you want the Oracle to know? I'll take care of it....lol
> ?
>
> If Paul is writing a letter/column, then there's no need, but basically
> to make the Oracle aware of the hardship that's going to be created
> because this N/S route on campus is being cut off! (all the discussion
> on this group about the same...)

I'm more concerned about the east-west route, but I am in contact with
Facilities Planning. If I _don't_ get satisfactory answers from them,
I'll write something, otherwise I'm just going to let it slide.

P.

Matthew Clark

Dec 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/6/98

Vicki Andrews wrote in message <746np3$96a$1...@news.usf.edu>...

>Nice to "see you" Matt and Chad...seems like old times.

Nice to come up for air, every now and then, at least as long
as they let me keep my .csee account... As for "old times",
I'd be inclined to indulge them more often if it wasn't a 45+
minute drive from Clearwater... (Hey, Himanshu! Aren't you
done yet? <grin>)

matt

Cavoli Riscaldati

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98

45 minutes?

Officer: Do you know how *slow* you were going, son?

"I think I got the monkey Robert Fernandez

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
Cavoli Riscaldati (rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu) wrote:
: 45 minutes?

: Officer: Do you know how *slow* you were going, son?

As slow as traffic lets you be. (:
It's minimum 35 minutes to USF from Gulf to Bay and US 19 - either by the
interstate method or the veteran's -> Bears method. Rush hour nights it'll
take a whole hour.

: On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Matthew Clark wrote:
: > Vicki Andrews wrote in message <746np3$96a$1...@news.usf.edu>...
: > >Nice to "see you" Matt and Chad...seems like old times.
: > Nice to come up for air, every now and then, at least as long
: > as they let me keep my .csee account... As for "old times",
: > I'd be inclined to indulge them more often if it wasn't a 45+
: > minute drive from Clearwater... (Hey, Himanshu! Aren't you
: > done yet? <grin>)
: > matt

Matthew Clark

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
>As slow as traffic lets you be. (:
>It's minimum 35 minutes to USF from Gulf to Bay and US 19 - either by the
>interstate method or the veteran's -> Bears method. Rush hour nights it'll
>take a whole hour.

Correct. If I leave from my current domicile (north of Bearss) at
6:30am, I'll arrive at my job between 7:10 - 7:15, and I do a fair
clip across the Frankenstein...

Matt