Linux Internet Connection?

saito

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
I just got my very first pc (I've been a devoted mac user
for a long time :-), installed RedHat Linux right away,
and am having a trouble with connecting to USF server via
PPP from home (I could connect via V102). I tried minicom,
ppp-on, and RedHat's network controlpanel, but none of them
seems to work. The modem does sound like connected, but when
I try to use clients such as PINE and Lynx on my HD, they
says "No such remote host as ....," "Alert!: Unable to connect
to remotehost" and the like. (I certainbly can use these apps
on the USF server when connected via V102). I can connect
using Mac and WinNT just fine, using the same modem.

Does anybody know what's wrong with this?

saito ssa...@luna.cas.usf.edu

Josef Elias Norgan

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
saito wrote:

check your '/etc/hosts' file and make sure your Domain name servers
are in there, or you can use the network config panel in x-win it's
fairly simple. also, a good thing to use to check whether or not you are
connect is either the ping command 'ping helios.acomp.usf.edu' or maybe
the '/sbin/ifconfig' it will give you the stats on the ppp connection. I
currently run RH 5.1 on my computer and have my ppp set up fine. I am
willing to help you get your system up (anything to spread the use of
linux) , but you need to be more specific, you weer kinda vague in your
problem statement. Also, do you live on campus or off?

Rochester

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

Yeah. You bought a PC.

Rob, proud owner of a brand spankin' new iMac. Woo hoo!

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, saito wrote:

> Does anybody know what's wrong with this?
>
> --
> saito ssa...@luna.cas.usf.edu

"Silly Robert, hollow points are for meddlers..."

"Wit is the only wall Robert Fernandez
Between us and the dark." rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu
- Mark Van Doren http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~rfernand
AIM: Gamaliel8

saito

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Rochester wrote:
>Yeah. You bought a PC.
>Rob, proud owner of a brand spankin' new iMac. Woo hoo!
>>On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, saito wrote:
>>Does anybody know what's wrong with this?

I still do like Macintosh very much, but my Performa 6214
does not support MkLinux or BeOS, and new Macs are way too
expensive to buy for me at this particular moment. So I
bought a cheap pc (about $350, DEC AMD 233MHz) just to
try Linux (and some other OSs later).

# I'm writing this from Linux's Netscape Communicator. :-)

--
ssa...@luna.cas.usf.edu
http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~ssaito/

saito

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Josef Elias Norgan wrote:
> or you can use the network
> config panel in x-win it's fairly simple.

It worked. Actually, i tried this one before, but didn't
work somehow that time. But yesterday I damaged x-server
and had to reinstall Linux (because I'm still too newbie
to fix it by myself [sigh]), tried the RedHat's network
control panel again, and it worked so easily. :-)

> do you live on campus or off?

I live in Villege dorm. I heard they will install ethernet
in USF college dorms, but my room has not got it yet, so
I'm using a USRobotics modem (which is shared by Mac and
WinNT) to connect to the USF server.

Anyway, now I can download utilities to japanize Linux and
get a file (/desktop) manager (probably KDE). Also I'd like
to try some other window managers. Do you have any
recommendation? (I like taskbar but don't like Win95
interface,:-p)

#I'm writing this from Linux's netscape communicator 4.5.

--
ssa...@luna.cas.usf.edu
http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~ssaito/

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Rochester (rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu) wrote:
: Yeah. You bought a PC.
: Rob, proud owner of a brand spankin' new iMac. Woo hoo!

Oh, no... please, no PC vs. Mac wars on this list...

-sw- [Or I'll have to call an Atari ST to woop ya ass. (: ]

--
Chad Gould / Soundwave / cgo...@gate.net
http://tilt.largo.fl.us/ - MST3K / Samples / Synth FAQ / More...

Himanshu Gohel

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
In article <72qec3$a4d$1...@news.usf.edu>, go...@babbage.csee.usf.edu (Soundwave [Chad Gould]) writes:
>Rochester (rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu) wrote:
>: Yeah. You bought a PC.
>: Rob, proud owner of a brand spankin' new iMac. Woo hoo!
>
>Oh, no... please, no PC vs. Mac wars on this list...
>
>-sw- [Or I'll have to call an Atari ST to woop ya ass. (: ]

Need I even mention that my Amiga can kick your Atari's butt with
one processor disabled? :)

I still use my Amiga 2000 with a 68030 running at 25Mhz...PPP,
web browser and everything!

--
Himanshu Gohel, mailto:go...@csee.usf.eduXXX | remove XXX to reply
<A HREF="http://www.csee.usf.edu/~gohel/"></A> |

David Hubbard

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Himanshu Gohel wrote:

> I still use my Amiga 2000 with a 68030 running at 25Mhz...PPP,
> web browser and everything!

And that's something you want to let people know? :-)

Dave

Rochester

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

Hey, I still have a working Commodore 64! :P

On 17 Nov 1998, Himanshu Gohel wrote:

> In article <72qec3$a4d$1...@news.usf.edu>, go...@babbage.csee.usf.edu (Soundwave [Chad Gould]) writes:
> >Rochester (rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu) wrote:
> >: Yeah. You bought a PC.
> >: Rob, proud owner of a brand spankin' new iMac. Woo hoo!
> >
> >Oh, no... please, no PC vs. Mac wars on this list...
> >
> >-sw- [Or I'll have to call an Atari ST to woop ya ass. (: ]
>
> Need I even mention that my Amiga can kick your Atari's butt with
> one processor disabled? :)
>

> I still use my Amiga 2000 with a 68030 running at 25Mhz...PPP,
> web browser and everything!
>

> --
> Himanshu Gohel, mailto:go...@csee.usf.eduXXX | remove XXX to reply
> <A HREF="http://www.csee.usf.edu/~gohel/"></A> |
> Geometric Modeling and Graphics Research Group | Phone: 4-1343

"Silly Robert, hollow points are for meddlers..."

Paul T. Jantzen

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Y'all quit this bickering before I whack the lot of you upside the head
with my slide rule ;)

Paul. (Who may still have an operational though unused TRS-80 back at
his parent's house)

Steven Chetelat (CS)

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Paul T. Jantzen wrote:

> Y'all quit this bickering before I whack the lot of you upside the head
> with my slide rule ;)
>
> Paul. (Who may still have an operational though unused TRS-80 back at
> his parent's house)

When it comes to enduring technology, how about my abacus ;-)
I routinely resort to figuring calculations on the palm of my hand, with a
pen, or just counting on my fingers -- let's see ya beat that :-)

K-Bye,
STEVE! (chet...@csee.usf.edu)(st...@rad.usf.edu)

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Steven Chetelat (CS) (chet...@csee.usf.edu) wrote:

: On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Paul T. Jantzen wrote:
: > Y'all quit this bickering before I whack the lot of you upside the head
: > with my slide rule ;)
: > Paul. (Who may still have an operational though unused TRS-80 back at
: > his parent's house)
: When it comes to enduring technology, how about my abacus ;-)
: I routinely resort to figuring calculations on the palm of my hand, with a
: pen, or just counting on my fingers -- let's see ya beat that :-)

Toes. (:

-sw- [My toe method can kick yo finger method, man.]

pjantzen

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

"Soundwave [Chad Gould]" wrote:

> Steven Chetelat (CS) (chet...@csee.usf.edu) wrote:
>: On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Paul T. Jantzen wrote:
>:> Y'all quit this bickering before I whack the lot of you upside the head
>:> with my slide rule ;)
>:> Paul. (Who may still have an operational though unused TRS-80 back at
>:> his parent's house)
> : When it comes to enduring technology, how about my abacus ;-)
> : I routinely resort to figuring calculations on the palm of my hand, with a
> : pen, or just counting on my fingers -- let's see ya beat that :-)
>
> Toes. (:

Okay, but one question: what'd "they" do way back in evolutionary
history when fingers and toes were still webbed like the fishies?

Paul.

Hey, at least I refrained from saying something about "uphill through
the snow barefoot on broken glass after a lump of cold poison for
breakfast, being woken up an hour before we went to bed in a shoebox and
we were so poor, our box didn't even have a floor..."

Drew Smith

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Steven Chetelat (CS) wrote:
> I routinely resort to figuring calculations on the palm of my hand, with a
> pen, or just counting on my fingers -- let's see ya beat that :-)

Easy. I do it in my head.

Drew

CamperGoof

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
How does Linux (RH) run? How is the speed as compared to win98 or NT on
comparable machines when running NS communicator for instance?

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Drew Smith (dsm...@luna.cas.usf.edu) wrote:

How advanced! (:

Josef Elias Norgan

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
saito wrote:

My suggestion as towrds the window manager you might try is
Enlightenment. Very beautiful window manager! BTW, is your USR modem an
internal PCI 56k? If it is I would like to know how you have it
configured! I have a 28.8 Isa Modem which I use and also a 56k PCI
modem. I would obviously like to use the 56k. So, Maybe you can throw me
some config info!

John C. Sperandio

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Josef Elias Norgan wrote:

> saito wrote:
>
> > Josef Elias Norgan wrote:
> > > or you can use the network
> > > config panel in x-win it's fairly simple.

[clip]

> > Anyway, now I can download utilities to japanize Linux and
> > get a file (/desktop) manager (probably KDE). Also I'd like
> > to try some other window managers. Do you have any
> > recommendation? (I like taskbar but don't like Win95
> > interface,:-p)
> >
> > #I'm writing this from Linux's netscape communicator 4.5.
> >
> > --
> > ssa...@luna.cas.usf.edu
> > http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~ssaito/
>
> My suggestion as towrds the window manager you might try is
> Enlightenment. Very beautiful window manager! BTW, is your USR modem an
> internal PCI 56k? If it is I would like to know how you have it
> configured! I have a 28.8 Isa Modem which I use and also a 56k PCI
> modem. I would obviously like to use the 56k. So, Maybe you can throw me
> some config info!

I use Window Maker (http://www.windowmaker.org).

It's not as cool looking as E, but I not so sure E is that stable.
OTOH, with Qt under Open Source now, KDE might be a real good choice for
you.

For configuration, have you tried linuxconf? It's a GTK app that I like
better than the config tools.

Good luck.

saito

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Josef Elias Norgan wrote:
>My suggestion as towrds the window manager
>you might try is Enlightenment.

I'll try it. thanks for recommendation. :-)

> BTW, is your USR modem an internal PCI 56k?

It's external 56k, but of x2 type which is not
supported by the USF server, I think. Maybe the ones
being sold by USR lately might have both x2 and
K56flex connectability, but my earlier version does
not. (It could be upgraded to meet the new standard
[v.90?] though.)

--
ssa...@luna.cas.usf.edu
http://luna.cas.usf.edu/~ssaito/

saito

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
"John C. Sperandio" wrote:
> It's not as cool looking as E, but I not so
> sure E is that stable. OTOH, with Qt under
> Open Source now, KDE might be a real good
> choice for you.

Yes, I just installed KDE and it's really good...
especially for me who is not very familiar with
command line user interface, yet. ^^;;