USEWOD state of affairs

2 vues

Markus Luczak-Rösch

non lue,
13 mai 2013, 04:11:0213/05/2013
à usewod20...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

We got NO further submissions of late abstracts. It seems like the topic is
out of date or that people take the data and submit somewhere else. :-(

We should rethink the workshop schedule (cut down to half day now?) and the
future perspective of USEWOD as an entity in the scientific landscape.

Additionally it turns out that I will not be able to come to ESWC and
USEWOD. It is now fixed that I leave Berlin towards Southampton very soon
and this takes me any flexibility for travelling around a lot before. I am
sorry for that.

Markus

Dipl.-Inform. Markus Luczak-Rösch | Freie Universität Berlin
Lecturer/Research Associate | Dept. of Computer Science
www.markus-luczak.de | Königin-Luise-Str. 24/26
| D-14195 Berlin
Networked Information Systems WG | Phone: +49 30 838 75226
| luc...@inf.fu-berlin.de
www.ag-nbi.de | Skype: markus_luczak

Bettina Berendt

non lue,
13 mai 2013, 06:27:1213/05/2013
à Markus Luczak-Rösch,usewod20...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

what a shame. Quiet also on the invited speaker front - the 2nd
candidate (Vincent Wade) hasn't answered so far. My worry / question
is - if we have such little interest, we may not even get the 15
registrations needed for the workshop to take place at all? (Or is
that already through and I missed it?) What happens then?

The most pressing question is of course *this* workshop. Cutting down
to half a day - yes, but what happens if no-one turns up?

And what happens to the already published paper if the workshop
doesn't take place?

About the future - maybe we should discuss this after we've seen the
conference. Meaning, in which direction is the field / this conference
going at all.

Talk to you soon
Bettina

2013/5/13, Markus Luczak-Rösch <markus.luc...@fu-berlin.de>:

Markus Luczak-Rösch

non lue,
13 mai 2013, 06:59:4713/05/2013
à Bettina Berendt,usewod20...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bettina, hi all.

> what a shame. Quiet also on the invited speaker front - the 2nd
> candidate (Vincent Wade) hasn't answered so far. My worry / question is
> - if we have such little interest, we may not even get the 15
> registrations needed for the workshop to take place at all? (Or is that
> already through and I missed it?) What happens then?

There was no restriction that we need 15 registrants for the workshop to
take place. 15 was the threshold for getting one free registration.

> The most pressing question is of course *this* workshop. Cutting down
> to half a day - yes, but what happens if no-one turns up?

I think this already happened. No-one submitted papers and it is reasonable
to expect that there will be only few people that come to listen.

> And what happens to the already published paper if the workshop doesn't
> take place?

It is already in the proceedings, so this is not an issue. The only thing is
if the author already registered and booked his flight and room.

My preference would to fall back to a format that combines paper sessions
with the other two workshops and a USEWOD specific session for joint hacking
and/or data set inspection in order to get insights about how to evolve the
USEWOD data set and about promising analysis based on it.

Shall we skype? I can offer Thursday between 9-14h.

Markus

Bettina Berendt

non lue,
13 mai 2013, 08:20:4013/05/2013
à Markus Luczak-Rösch,usewod20...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus and all,

thanks for clarifying the 15-person-threshold, I had mixed that up.
Skype is good. I can do Thu 11-14.

Talk to you soon!

Hollink, L.

non lue,
13 mai 2013, 10:09:3513/05/2013
à Bettina Berendt,Markus Luczak-Rösch,<usewod2013-chairs@googlegroups.com>
Hi all,

It's a real pity. It might be due to the move to ESWC, maybe this is just not a good venue for USEWOD. This even more regrettable as in the end I did got to WWW, so we could have submitted it there.

I can skype thursday from 13:00 onwards. This would be 8:00 am for me as I am in Rio now, so later would be better, but if you guys can't make it later than 14:00 I can do 13:00.

I agree with Markus that we should merge with other workshops. Benchmarking RDF Systems (BeRSys2013) seems a really good candidate. Artificial Intelligence meets the Web of Data (AImWD2013) seems less relevant to me. What do you think? Shall I contact Ioan, Ioana and Irini from BeRSys?

I am not sure what to do with the interactive hacking session. Who will go to ESWC? I will go, but I am not confident that I can run a good interactive session on my own. What would be the format of this session?

Regards,
Laura

ps. Congratulations on your new job Markus!

Knud Hinnerk Möller

non lue,
13 mai 2013, 15:28:4913/05/2013
à Hollink, L.,Bettina Berendt,Markus Luczak-Rösch,<usewod2013-chairs@googlegroups.com>
Hi all,

it's a real pity, I agree. It does look like we have to cut the workshop down to a half-day, unfortunately. As for the telco, I going on holidays early Thursday morning, so I cannot join (I also cannot really do an earlier date, because I have quite a bit to do before I leave …).

I also won't be at ESWC, so I cannot help in the hacking session. I have planned to prepare the data, though, and put it online before Thursday - unless it's not needed anymore.

Cheers,
Knud

--
Dr. Knud Hinnerk Möller
Datalysator - Web Data Solutions and Training

David Vallet

non lue,
13 mai 2013, 19:29:5813/05/2013
à Knud Hinnerk Möller,Hollink, L.,Bettina Berendt,Markus Luczak-Rösch,<usewod2013-chairs@googlegroups.com>
HI all,
I'm sorry to hear that, my impression is, given the low number of submissions for the other workshops, that ESWC hasn't enough participants to fill properly the 12 workshops listed in the web page (note that in WWW we had around 8).
I think that the people planning to be in ESWC should have the final word on how the workshop is going to be held. As Laura says, we shouldn't force anyone to do something they don't feel prepared to do.
Apart from Laura, is anyone else planning to go?

The only time I could make it for a telco is 8 AM UTC (8 PM Sydney time)

David
  David Vallet
  Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
  http://www.dvallet.com

Bettina Berendt

non lue,
14 mai 2013, 11:43:1814/05/2013
à David Vallet,Knud Hinnerk Möller,Hollink, L.,Markus Luczak-Rösch,<usewod2013-chairs@googlegroups.com>
Hi all,

I was planning to go, but for various reasons still haven't finally
decided and not booked and registered yet. But it's on the agenda.
I think this time (8 UTC) means 12 in Central Europe. That's ok for
me, I'll be online.

Best
Bettina

2013/5/14, David Vallet <david....@uam.es>:

Knud Hinnerk Möller

non lue,
14 mai 2013, 11:51:2114/05/2013
à Bettina Berendt,David Vallet,Hollink, L.,Markus Luczak-Rösch,<usewod2013-chairs@googlegroups.com>
On May 14, 2013, at 17:43 , Bettina Berendt <bettina...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I was planning to go, but for various reasons still haven't finally
decided and not booked and registered yet. But it's on the agenda.
I think this time (8 UTC) means 12 in Central Europe.

Not really - 08:00 UTC is 10:00 in Germany at the moment.

I just found a neat tool to calculate stuff like that:

Cheers,
Knud

Hollink, L.

non lue,
14 mai 2013, 12:50:0714/05/2013
à Knud Hinnerk Möller,Bettina Berendt,David Vallet,Markus Luczak-Rösch,<usewod2013-chairs@googlegroups.com>
08:00 AM UTC is 04:00 AM for me in Brazil, that is not gonna work. Shall we stick to 08:00 AMT / 13:00 CET?

So are Bettina and I the only ones going to ESWC? Knud, are you going?

If no-one complains I'll contact BeRSys before that time, so we can discuss their answer in the telco.

Laura

Bettina Berendt

non lue,
15 mai 2013, 07:31:0215/05/2013
à Hollink, L.,Knud Hinnerk Möller,David Vallet,Markus Luczak-Rösch,<usewod2013-chairs@googlegroups.com>
Hi all,

ah. The Internet is full of lies ;-) It has DIFFERENT IDEAS of UTC ;-)
Anyway. I'll start my skype as soon as I get online tmr and then wait
to see who turns up :)

Laura, I think your proposal about contacting these organisers is good. Thanks.

Talk to you tmr!

2013/5/14, Hollink, L. <l.ho...@vu.nl>:

Knud Hinnerk Möller

non lue,
15 mai 2013, 08:05:5715/05/2013
à Hollink, L.,Knud Hinnerk Möller,Bettina Berendt,David Vallet,Markus Luczak-Rösch,<usewod2013-chairs@googlegroups.com>
I'm not going to ESWC, I'm afraid - I'm going to be on holidays from tomorrow until 01/06.

Knud

--
Dr. Knud Hinnerk Möller
Datalysator - Web Data Solutions and Training

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer
0 nouveau message