would it be nice to Link UsefulChem to other public databases in the web?

1 view

Albert

Apr 25, 2008, 6:46:01 AM4/25/08
to UsefulChem
How!
I just have ran into this Open Chemistry Project and It has really
excited me!! Well done!!
I hope not to be asking redundant stuff but in wich point are you
exactly in creating an interface of searching by substructure,
reaction, reactant? Cause this could be really really a revolution. If
all academics we used the same open notebook format, we could look for
reactions, reactants, specific conditions, yields... That would be
great, cause many often a reaction does not work with a reactant in
concrete and I don't publish it anywhere!
There is a public database of reactions that maybie could be nice to
invite to join _UsefulChem community? I dunno. I just give you the
link...
http://www.syntheticpages.org/
And with all the blogs, pubChem, matador and many more databases
emerging it would be really great to integrate all this information
with a public open notebook in the same web, wouldn't it?
I don't know, I'm going to talk to my professor (I'm doing my PhD in
Barcelona), it would be great o join you! Nice work guys!

albert

Jean-Claude Bradley

Apr 25, 2008, 8:44:17 AM4/25/08
to usefu...@googlegroups.com
Albert - yes we are using ChemSpider precisely for that reason.  You should be able to do a substructure search within the UsefulChem "data provider" and find whatever you are looking for.  We have not yet uploaded all UsefulChem molecules into ChemSpider but I have reminded my students of how important it is that we get this done as soon as possible to take advantage of all the benefits that you mention.
We could certainly use some help - any volunteers out there :)  You would just need to join the UsefulChem wiki:
http://usefulchem.wikispaces.com

ChemSpider link:
http://www.chemspider.com
--
Jean-Claude Bradley, Ph. D.
E-Learning Coordinator for the College of Arts and Sciences

http://drexel-coas-elearning.blogspot.com
http://drexel-coas-talks-mp3-podcast.blogspot.com/
http://usefulchem.blogspot.com

Developer @ ChemSpider