Moving UsefulChem Wiki data to ChemSpider

Tony at ChemSpider

Jul 21, 2008, 1:12:38 AM7/21/08
to UsefulChem
I have copied and pasted the UsefulChem 086B image and text to
ChemSpider. About a 30 second operation.

See here: http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.10481766.html

What's missing?

1) I want us to improve the image uploading. Right now you have to
post to an image on a server rather than have the ability to upload.
We need to purchase (maybe find) a utility to allow it.
2) Tracking of edits is limited to who edited and when but not to
"what" was edited. Work to be done here.
3) For each record there might be a need for multiple descriptions so
we will need to allow that in the future.

More feedback welcomed. The Drexel group does have full editing
ability over all Usefulchem records so I encourage you to copy-paste
your other records over to ChemSpider. Alternatively, point me to some
records and we will test the capabilities on a few more records.

the question now...how will we synchronize edits on the Usefulchem
Wiki with what's on ChemSpider????

Jean-Claude Bradley

Jul 21, 2008, 8:55:30 AM7/21/08
to usefu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tony - it looks like a capability that could come in handy.
Being able to show the edits between page version is important for use as a primary notebook but that won't stop us from experimenting.
As for multiple descriptions,  what that really means is a workflow table in the database, where parts of the lab notebook would reside - and link to all the molecules used in the workflow.  We can discuss that in detail in SanFran but in the meantime, do you have a way to identify molecules in the text and create chemspider links?  I noticed that the links in that record have not yet been corrected to point to CS.

As for more experiments, I would be curious to see if we can start to put in some machine readable formats like this
http://usefulchem.wikispaces.com/RESULT0001
this is from EXP150:
http://usefulchem.wikispaces.com/Exp150

It would be nice to upload the monitoring NMR runs, not just final products - this would make more sense as workflow records than molecules though
--
Jean-Claude Bradley, Ph. D.
E-Learning Coordinator for the College of Arts and Sciences

http://drexel-coas-elearning.blogspot.com
http://drexel-coas-talks-mp3-podcast.blogspot.com/
http://usefulchem.blogspot.com

Tony at ChemSpider

Jul 21, 2008, 1:00:14 PM7/21/08
to UsefulChem
We can discuss the details in San Francisco but we are already
discussing separating "Lab Notebook pages" from record views since
your lab notebook pages require integration to multiple structures and
are by default not structure centric. In order to associate links to
molecules in the workflow simply login to ChemSPider, click on
Description and edit what's there. Inserting hyperlinks should be
obvious as it's the standard Wiki-like approach (screenshot here:
http://www.chemspider.com/blog/beta-testers-of-rich-text-editing-capabilities-required.html)

We need to provide you the ability to manage multiple documents/
descriptions in order to manage your workflows.

I have no problem hosting the NMR data but i definitely want to get
away from showing all NMR spectra by default as it takes way to long
to load a record view now as we have to start the JVM and load the
applet etc.