UFR Weekly Newsletter #16: Spilling Coffee

David Cotrone

Apr 3, 2011, 3:10:42 PM4/3/11
to used-furniture-w...@googlegroups.com

We met for coffee and she talked about pain. She told me to imagine I was older, just getting home from work, cooking dinner at the stove. She said to keep imagining. Imagine you have a baby in your arms, your daughter. And there’s some music playing, some light stuff you can sway to, that you can get lost in, that you know. So there you are at the stove, swaying to the music, your daughter laughing as you hold her. And then the song stops and another one begins. You catch your breath. You forget where you are and put your hand down on the burner.

***

The Chair that She Sat Upon by David Trinidad

Judy Clement Wall reviews Other People We Married

A Man of Theory by Nick Rombes

***

She said it didn’t matter, that it was just a story. She said she wasn’t done. She wanted to talk about what would happen next. She wanted to know about instincts, if the first thing you would think of doing would be to nurse your hand. But then wouldn’t your daughter drop to the floor? Would it be an accident? Did you mean to? Would it have been different if you hadn’t been listening to music? What would happen next? Would you catch her? Do you know?

***

There’s a lot to say so this will be brief. We’re busy and we love it. We’ve been getting more submissions than ever. We’re in the middle of a few interviews for Talking with Women and Talking with Furniture. It’s hard to keep everything straight but that’s okay. We almost have 500 followers on twitter and we’re trying to think of new ways to connect.

***

She said she could be hurting and no one would notice. I told her I’d like to think I would, that someone would. She said she’d like that, too. She spilled her coffee on the table and we laughed. It’s been a few years since we’ve talked.

Be well,

David