Live capture problem - "No packets captured"

David Strip

Apr 1, 2015, 10:42:43 PM4/1/15
to usb...@googlegroups.com
 Machine is Win Vista, USBPcapCMD is version 1.0.0.7, downloaded yesterday from the desowin.org webpage.

After installing I successfully ran USBPcapCMD from a non-admin prompt. I then opened an elevated (admin)  prompt and tried to run the command line as shown on the "Tour" webpage. This caused the install dialog to run.I canceled the install and then tried running a non-live capture command from the elevated prompt and it ran fine. I finally let USBPcapCMD install again. Now when I run the command Wireshark launches and reports "No packets captured" then closes the temp file.
Behind this alert is another alert " Error reading from pipe: The operation completed successfully (error 0). Dismiss this and Wireshark brings up its interface, but nothing is running.

Suggestions?

honeypu...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2015, 7:23:13 AM9/17/15
to USBPcap
Similar issue here.
Windows 7, USBPcapCMD version 1.0.0.7, Wireshark Version 1.12.7 (v1.12.7-0-g7fc8978 from master-1.12), both downloaded just now.
Raw capture from non-admin prompt works fine.
Live capture as described on the website does start Wireshark, but doesn't capture any packets. Wireshark lists an additional capture interface (which isn't there without USBPcap), but it's listed as "-: (null)".

honeypu...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2015, 6:45:35 AM9/18/15
to USBPcap
Nevermind, it works now.

The problem was that I copied the command line from your web page and used it without further looking at it. But it has "-d \\.\USBPcap2" and that's an USB interface where nothing was happening. After changing it to "-d \\.\USBPcap1", where my mouse and keyboard are connected (as seen in the raw capture menu), USB packets were happily flooding into Wireshark.

Thanks a lot for a great tool, Tomasz!