usb cable faulty and exception error

han.k...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 6, 2017, 3:56:37 PM7/6/17
to USB_Focus

I received the USB_focus yesterday.  It worked fine with the 8 volt power supply but not on USB power. I tested it on two computer but both gave the same problem. After a move instruction the motor moved maybe a fraction of a second or nothing at all and then the control program freezed.  Using ASCOM loss of communication was reported. After some investigating, I found that the supplied blue USB cable was faulty!.  When I connected the same USB cable to a printer,  Windows reported a problem with USB  connection. Replacing the cable solved all problems and the focuser works well. So this cable goes in the bin.

Only minor problem left is an exception error when I close the “USB_OpticalTelescopeController v0.55” program. It reports an exception error both in Win7 and win10. I also noticed it can’t write the .INI to a very long complicated path. The  ASCOM  driver works without any problem.

Here some images of my home made adapter and toothed belt coupling:

http://www.hnsky.org/motorised_focuser.htm

vin...@usb-foc.us

Jul 7, 2017, 4:51:17 AM7/7/17
to usb_...@googlegroups.com
Dear Han,

thank you for your feedback.
And sorry about this USB cable.

I will check the root causes of this exception.

Best regards,
Vincent

www.usb-foc.us

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 at 9:56 PM
From: "han.kleijn via USB_Focus" <usb_...@googlegroups.com>
To: USB_Focus <usb_...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: usb cable faulty and exception error
--

---
Vous recevez ce message, car vous êtes abonné au groupe Google Groupes "USB_Focus".

han.k...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 17, 2017, 5:06:58 AM7/17/17
to USB_Focus
Hello Vincent,

The exception error only occurs if the program (USB_OpticalTelescopeController v0.55.exe program) is connected and the program is manually closed/stopped. I assume it is something in the closing down sequence of the COM port communication  Attached some screen shots.

Han
close_error2.png
close_error1.png

han.k...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 18, 2017, 8:45:57 AM7/18/17
to USB_Focus

If the communication is stopped before closing the program then the error doesn't occur. So I assume to fix it, the software should stop communication earlier if the program is stopped. I do some programming myself and assume you should try to capture the communication exception or stop communicating on a close event of the main window.

Han

USB_Focus

Jul 20, 2017, 3:08:09 AM7/20/17
to usb_...@googlegroups.com