Using USB Focus as a rotator

Manoj Koushik

Aug 10, 2016, 1:48:31 PM8/10/16
to USB_Focus
Hi all, I have a bracket and pulleys made that can mate the USB Focus motor to the FSQ CAA (Similar to Takometer, which does not seem to be made or supported anymore).

The only thing I am missing is an Ascom rotator program so the USB Focus controller can used as a rotator instead of a focuser.

Has anyone else attempted this? Is there any Ascom Driver out there for the USB Focus controller to achieve this sort of a usage?

If it does not I think there are 3 possibilities for me:
- If I can get the code for the Focuser Ascom driver, I can try and rewrite it as a rotator and implement the Ascom rotator template
- If this is not possible, I could possibly wire up an Arduino to control the motor instead and then write as Ascom rotator on top of the arduino. Some work seems to have happened already on this: http://www.russels-astro.com/blog/?p=245 But to be able to do this, I need to understand the details of the motor. It seems it's a bipolar motor which are wired to pins 1 through 4 on the DB9 connector. Is this accurate? it is possible that someone tells what pins are what? (COM vs Power?)

I tried to use a seltek armadillo controller to control the motor, but there is possibly a pin out difference between what the armadillo expects vs. how the motor is wired and the controller seems to have burnt out now :(

Thanks for any help.
Manoj

vin...@usb-foc.us

Aug 16, 2016, 7:54:44 AM8/16/16
to usb_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manoj,

I really like this kind of initiatives.

So that I sent to you the USB_Focus ASCOM Focuser source code into an other email.

Please be so kind to share your progress with us, maybe with photos.

Cheers,
Vincent

Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 7:48 PM
From: "Manoj Koushik" <manoj....@gmail.com>
To: USB_Focus <usb_...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Using USB Focus as a rotator
--

---
Vous recevez ce message, car vous êtes abonné au groupe Google Groupes "USB_Focus".

Manoj Koushik

Aug 18, 2016, 6:39:30 PM8/18/16
to usb_...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I managed to do a quick hack and have a rotator ascom driver working. Allows me to set motor speed, clockwise/anticlockwise motion, max steps and half steps.

Vincent I will send you the code on a separate thread so you can check it out before we can release it.

Will send instructions once we are ready to release to everyone else.

Pour obtenir davantage d'options, consultez la page https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--

---
Vous recevez ce message, car vous êtes abonné à un sujet dans le groupe Google Groupes "USB_Focus".

USB_Focus

Aug 19, 2016, 3:38:22 AM8/19/16
to usb_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manoj,

Well done !

Could you share photos of your "USB_Rotator" ?

Best regards / cordialement,

Vincent

"Do you know USB_Dewpoint product ? Remotely power heater, fans, lights,...  through USB and much much more. Check www.usb-foc.us"

Manoj Koushik

Aug 19, 2016, 11:25:24 AM8/19/16
to usb_...@googlegroups.com
Will send it to you in just a bit.

I want to make the code a little bit better. Is there any way to set the motor position on the controller? As opposed to having to do it through the buttons (which only lets you set it to 0). I did not see any commands in the command reference.