Governance lecture

Ayo Olukotun

Jul 10, 2019, 9:55:17 AM7/10/19
to Ayo Olukotun, Toyin Falola, Olatunji Ayanlaja, Adetoun Adetona, Ashobanjo, F&C Securities Limited, Akinjide Osuntokun, Ayo Banjo, Adebayo Olukoshi, Hafsat Abiola, Prof. Tonia Simbine, Niyi Akinnaso, Richard A. Joseph, Idowu Olayinka, Prof Akin Mabogunje, Ariyo Andrew Tobi, Bolaji Akinyemi, Adebayo Williams, Emmanuel Remi Aiyede, Remi Anifowose, Adigun Agbaje, Digest Recipients, Dhikru Adewale Yagboyaju, Tobi Adewunmi, Prof Bayo Adekanye, Prof. W.O. Alli, Toks X., David Atte, Wale Adebanwi, Prof. Segun Awonusi, Dr Akinwumi A. Adesina, Ayobami Salami, Taiwo Asaolu, Ayo Ojebode, Esther Oluwaseun Idowu, Femi Babatunde, Banji Oyeyinka, Jide Owoeye, Biodun Jeyifo, Bankole Omotoso, Ebenezer Obadare, Tale Omole, Stephen Bolaji, Bukky Dada, Dr Wale Babalakin, Bunmi Makinwa, Bode Fasakin, Yusuf Bangura, Innocent Chukwuma, Cyril Obi, Prof Eghosa E. OSAGHAE, Ebunoluwa Oduwole, Peter Ozo-Eson, Omatsola Edema, OluYinka Esan, Olajumoke Yacob-Haliso, Ganiyu Go, Remi Sonaiya, Orogun Olanike, Prof. Ayo Dunmoye, DrJibrin Ibrahim, Gbenga Dr. Owojaiye, Dele Ashiru, Dr John Nnia Nwodo, Royal Gardens, Richard A. Joseph, Tunde Rahman, Rotimi Suberu, Abubakar Rasheed, Glory Ukwenga, Fred Goke, Prof Ogunmola Ogunmola, Gaf Oye, Kayode Soremekun, OLAYODE OLUSOLA, Kolaawodein, Mr. Kolade Mosuro, Kehinde Isinkaye, Obadiah Mailafia, Michael Vickers, Femi Otubanjo, Mohammed Haruna, Alade Rotimi-john, FON Roberts, Rotimi Olatunji, Noel Ihebuzor, Oye Ibidapo-Obe, Idowu Sobowale, InnocentChukwuma, Is-haq Oloyede, Odia Ofeimun, Femi_Osofisan Osofisan, Friday Okonofua, Oluwaniyi Osundare, Toks Olaoluwa, Ademiluyi Wole, Wale Adebanwi, Fola Arthur-Worrey

Michael Vickers

Jul 10, 2019, 6:42:15 PM7/10/19
to Prof Ayo OLUKOTUN, Prof Toyin FALOLA, Olatunji Ayanlaja, Adetoun Adetona, Ashobanjo, F&C Securities Limited, Akinjide Osuntokun, Ayo Banjo, Adebayo Olukoshi, Hafsat Abiola, Prof. Tonia Simbine, Niyi Akinnaso, Michael VICKERS, Richard A. Joseph, Idowu Olayinka, Prof Akin Mabogunje, Ariyo Andrew Tobi, Bolaji Akinyemi, Adebayo Williams, Funmi Odusolu, Emmanuel Remi Aiyede, Remi Anifowose, Adigun Agbaje, Digest Recipients, S.O. UWAIFO, Dhikru Adewale Yagboyaju, Tobi Adewunmi, Prof Bayo Adekanye, Prof. W.O. Alli, Toks X., David Atte, Wale Adebanwi, Prof. Segun Awonusi, Dr Akinwumi A. Adesina, Ayobami Salami, Taiwo Asaolu, Ayo Ojebode, Esther Oluwaseun Idowu, Femi Babatunde, Banji Oyeyinka, Jide Owoeye, Biodun Jeyifo, Bankole Omotoso, Ebenezer Obadare, Tale Omole, Stephen Bolaji, Bukky Dada, Dr Wale Babalakin, Bunmi Makinwa, Prof Oladipupo ADAMOLEKUN, George OGUNJIMI, Bode Fasakin, Yusuf Bangura, Innocent Chukwuma, Cyril Obi, Prof Eghosa E. OSAGHAE, Ebunoluwa Oduwole, Peter Ozo-Eson, Omatsola Edema, OluYinka Esan, Olajumoke Yacob-Haliso, Ganiyu Go, Remi Sonaiya, Orogun Olanike, Prof. Ayo Dunmoye, DrJibrin Ibrahim, Gbenga Dr. Owojaiye, Dele Ashiru, Prof Gloria CHUKU, Dr John Nnia Nwodo, Royal Gardens, Richard A. Joseph, Tunde Rahman, Rotimi Suberu, Abubakar Rasheed, Glory Ukwenga, Fred Goke, Prof Ogunmola Ogunmola, Gaf Oye, Kayode Soremekun, OLAYODE OLUSOLA, Kolaawodein, Mr. Kolade Mosuro, Kehinde Isinkaye, Obadiah Mailafia, Femi Otubanjo, Mohammed Haruna, Alade Rotimi-john, FON Roberts, Rotimi Olatunji, Noel Ihebuzor, Oye Ibidapo-Obe, Idowu Sobowale, InnocentChukwuma, Is-haq Oloyede, Odia Ofeimun, Femi_Osofisan Osofisan, Friday Okonofua, Oluwaniyi Osundare, Toks Olaoluwa, Ademiluyi Wole, Wale Adebanwi, Fola Arthur-Worrey

Oloruntoyin,

I hear the voice of Great Agbo.
I sense beneath my feet the trembling earth,
I hear the distant roar of his armies,
They are coming ever closer.
They have a mission.

"… The “Engine Room” of Africa is only just starting to produce serious thrust. It is a thrust rooted in great reservoirs of energy and ravenous hunger for all things. And while “primitive accumulation” by most Africa oligarchs is the current norm—a practice that has turned many of its most brilliant and productive citizens into exiles; and that also is holding back a massive range of vitally important development throughout the continent—release and actuation will come. There is a limit to the time that growing multitudes of Africa folk of high talent, energy and intelligence can be ignored/ excluded/ suppressed. The huge and ever-growing force, the thrust from below grows daily. Eventually it will become too much. It will breach the “oligarchical dam.” There will be a huge release. Folk from distant diasporic lands, and from all levels in Africa society, will flood forward. Africa will come into its own."  (On Wings of Light, 2015, pp.23-4

“… I am not proud of what our world has been nor of what it is; I am proud to join men and women of goodwill to make our civilization what it ought to be.”   Mbonu Ojike, I have Two Countries (1947)

" …On the theme of culture, religion  and civilization, he [Ojike] had this to say (this was in 1949);   Africa and Europe existed before the birth of Christ.  Yet in that world epoch Europe did not rule Africa, neither was Europe more industrialized than Africa.  The stream of civilization in its philosophical and material aspects did once flow from Africa to Europe even as it did flow from Europe to America two hundred years ago”  And he added, prophetically, “Today Europe is declining, … even as Europe was before and Africa was before Europe. Asia is rising though without the menacing factors of imperialism.   Africa is coming back to its former glory.   It will in due course take over.  Sadly, Africa has so far failed to fulfill its destiny.  We need to focus on it.  There is no need for self denigration or despair; much need for vision and effort."   As he said:  “Change is an imperative law of nature.   Its source is attitude to life in all its ramifications and not geography, the pride and morality the leadership of the world.”.

Ojike had a vision for our country:  “When I see in our country, shops, factories, banks, universities, societies and clubs maintaining proud comparison with what they are in other countries, then if I am asked to take a bow for contributing my tiny bit towards that reality of economic stability and national identity, I shall not hesitate to do so with humility and gratitude.”   Tragically, he did not live to take that bow.   But his message lives …"  And the effect of it? …It draws ever closer.

Baba m