Ọkha, Ikhinmwin and Iroko: Intersections Between Beliefs in the Spirituality of Trees and in Witchcraft in Benin Thought: Realities, Questions, Prospects 1

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Dec 1, 2022, 3:42:19 PM12/1/22
to usaafricadialogue, Yoruba Affairs

                                                            unnamed.jpg

                                                               Ọkha, Ikhinmwin and Iroko

                  Intersections Between Beliefs in the  Spirituality  of Trees and in  Witchcraft in Benin Thought

                                                             Realities, Questions, Prospects

                                                                                         1

                          IMG_3466 2 5.jpg

Awesome kha Tree Outlined Against the Sky at the Grounds Used for the Temporary Palace of the Edaiken of Uselu, the Crown Prince of Benin, in the sequence of activities culminating in his ascending the throne as the Oba of Benin. The picture is composed to evoke a sense of opening into expansive possibilities suggested by the upward thrust of the tree's bulk as framed by the translucent blue of the sky in which clouds float, luminous and free, foregrounded by the delicate beauty of the tree's leaves. Power and dynamism, force and freedom, stability and creativity, combined.

May contemplation of such glories of nature as this tree facilitate expansion of the human mind into latent possibilities of the self shared with other aspects of nature, such as a spiritual equivalent of the aerial mobility of birds, a motion the human being may demonstrate in the various dimensions at times associated with trees, from the Norse Yggdrasil, its massive branches representing various zones of existence, to the ọkha and iroko believed in Benin and Yoruba thought to be privileged spaces of convergence of matter and spirit,  interdimensional platforms employed by spiritually powerful people,  the azen of Benin and the aje of Yorubaland?

Why should ideas of interdimensional motion facilitated by trees in Benin and Yoruba beliefs be often associated with  powers  dangerous to humanity, an anti-social potential ironically co-existing with the capacity for beneficence? Why are similar conceptions in other spiritualities much richer in terms of dramatizing ideas of human creativity, of capacity for understanding and navigating the cosmos within its overarching mystery, such as the image  of soul travel at the core of the New Religion Eckankar and notions of spirit flight in various accounts of shamanism?

Those other systems represent strategies of human development the methods, benefits, dangers and practitioners of which are clearly known, constituting a central aspect of humanity's cultural heritage, its effort to understand and take advantage of the range of possibilities offered by the universe. Why should something similar not apply to beliefs in the enabling power of trees in Nigerian spiritualities?

                                                                         Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

                                                                                   Compcros
                                                        Comparative Cognitive Processes and Systems
                                        ''Exploring Every Corner of the Cosmos in Search of Knowledge''

                                                             Abstract

A first-hand account of relationships between beliefs in the spirituality of trees and in witchcraft in the traditional thought of the people of Benin-City, Nigeria, in conjunction with questions about these ideas and the creative possibilities they may suggest,  presented through accounts of my encounters with various trees and culture bearers in Benin-City, correlated with other examples of ecosystemic spirituality.

The visual force of trees, specifically the ọkha, ikhinmwin and iroko, among the most significant arboreal forms in traditional Benin spirituality, is projected through  pictures taken and  edited by myself at times suggesting their aesthetic power, their  atmosphere shaping  character and evocative potencies, images aligned with commentary describing their cultural significance and my responses to their inspirational force. The pictures were taken using an iPhone 6s and edited on an HP laptop.

I could not use all the images I would have liked to employ for this essay on account of the limitations of Google Mail, my primary template for essay composition. The essay is also complemented by videos I made and by many other pictures I took, which, ideally, should be referenced in the essay, linking to the online locations of these video and image libraries, a comprehensive mapping of my discoveries which I intend to present with time.

Contents

Image and Text: Awesome kha Tree Outlined Against the Sky at the Grounds Used for the Temporary Palace of the Edaiken of Uselu

Encountering kha

Image and Text:   Picture of the kha on the Edaiken of Uselu's Palace Grounds

Image and Text: Majestic Force Projected by Part of the Lower Trunk of  the Ọkha  in the Edaiken of Uselu's Palace Grounds

Encountering Fabled Iroko

Image and Text:  A Nexus of Dimensions on a Busy Modern Street?

Image and Text: Close Up of Iroko Tree in Front of the Compound of the Ezomo of Benin

Image and Text: Chief Dr.Ebengho's  Iroko in Front of his Shrine,  for Supplication to Osanodoze,
                          the Creator of the   Cosmos

Image and Text: Iroko, Engaged for Supplicating the Powers of the Night, in Chief Ebengho's Shrine

Encountering Mythic Ikhinmwin

Image and Text: Majestic Ikhinmwin  at the Main Gate of the Palace of the Oba of Benin

Image and Text:  Leaf and Bark from Iroko Tree in Front of the Palace of the Ezomo of Benin

A Network of Arboreal Potencies

Ethics of Spiritual Practice of Chief Ebengho and his Son Osarobor

Developing an Ethics of Witchcraft in the Benin and Yoruba Contexts

A Mystical Quest

Textual Contexts

Between Animism and Mysticism at an Intercultural Nexus

Thanks to Donors

Encountering kha

Alighting at  Uselu Motor Park on arriving in Benin-City from Ife on the 21st of October 2022, in my ongoing exploration of the philosophical and spiritual significance of Nigerian vegetative spaces, particularly trees,  I glimpsed a formidable presence, dark and majestic, in a field  opposite the park.

''What is that?'' I asked the cab driver, referring to the huge and clearly ancient tree starkly outlined against the sky.

''Its a place where the Oba-to-Be- performs certain ceremonies in his movement towards ascending the throne as the Oba of Benin,'' he responded.

''At last!'' my soul screamed in silent delight. ''One of the very first things I see as I enter Benin is the kind of phenomenon I have come seeking. I am welcomed by the city of ancient powers.''

My backpack on my back and my computer bag in my hand, I crossed the road to the glorious behemoth, seeing a rusty  sign by the field in which it is located, ''Traditional Ground. Edaiken of Uselu Palace. No Trespass.''

''Why should the signboard announcing such a significant place in the magnificent spectacle that is the coronation rites of the Oba of Benin be rusty?'', I asked myself. Inadequate management of such a cultural treasure? Need for greater awareness of its educational value and tourist potential amidst the network of unique Benin cultural glories?

I approached the tree, passing through a road badly in need of repair, by the side of the field in which the tree is located, the state of the road  being another indication of the need for better maintenance of this location represented by the vegetative glory that so fascinated me.

Sitting on a log facing the tree, I considered the behemoth, a glorious monster ordinarily not to be found outside a  forest of similarly ancient trees. Its majestic physicality is complemented, in my eyes, by the unique presence some  trees,  groves and forests demonstrate as I have observed them through earlier fascination with such phenomena in Benin-City, and rarely, in a park in England,   a dense aura, a concentrated sense of presence  suggesting something arcane, palpable but beyond grasp by the conventional understanding, sensed through its impinging on the eyes but beyond the penetrative capacities of the mind untrained in such occult realities.

                                                                                                           IMG_3475 2.jpg

Picture of the  kha on the Edaiken of Uselu's palace grounds, composed and edited to suggest the uncannily potent atmosphere of the tree, the manner in which it charges the surrounding space with its eldritch presence, its sense of multitudinous assemblage, as huge trunk and myriad, many leaved  branches congregate in projecting a sense of numinous cosmos.

hotographic picturing and editing adequately evoking the amazing combination of bulk and ancient power dramatized by this tree are, however, beyond my technical resources and editorial skill, if such capacities are within the reach of anyone.

I approached a man whose house faces the tree to ask the significance  of that colossus. ''The tree is an international airport,'' he declared. ''Unseen to conventional eyes,'' as his words may be rephrased, ''people are flying in and out of Benin from various parts of the world through the landing strip and infrastructural complexes represented by that tree, '' he asserted. ''Its an  ọkha,'' he clarified, ''the most spiritually powerful of trees, a multidimensional  entity of unique power, existing simultaneously in the physical and spiritual worlds with such potency that other entities may use it in moving between those dimensions,'' as his conclusion may be restated.

I gazed at the tree. Truly awesome. Could the magnificent architecture and darkly beautiful power of this majestas truly represent a spiritual nexus, a confluence of dimensions, as it was being described?

Could I cultivate a relationship with the tree through admiration, through contemplation of its beauty and power of presence, through trying to reach it telepathically as one mind to another mind, crossing the walls of flesh, the encasing of mind by bones and skin, reaching into the constellation of awareness the living wood embodies, thereby gaining entry into the transdimensional possibilities ascribed to this juggernaut?

''Who are those mysterious personalities described as travelling in and out of various dimensions through such trees?'' I wondered. ''How could one become one of them, if they really exist?'' I thought.

''Azen,'' as this picture of interdimensional navigators  is named, often associated with such trees as  ọkha  and iroko,  is a mysterious category of ancient Benin spirituality, a category often described in terms of the English term ''witches.''

                          IMG_3484 2.jpg

            Majestic Force Projected by Part of the Lower Trunk of  the Ọkha  in the Edaiken of Uselu Palace Grounds

''The ọkha is more powerful than the iroko,'' the man insisted in spite of the greater fame of the iroko, its legendary spirituality resonating across the belief systems of various Nigerian ethnic groups. ''Lightning striking the ọkha is absorbed by the tree without harm to itself, unlike the iroko which would not be able to withstand such a blast without damage,'' he declared.

To Be Continued