The Intrinsic and Universal Significance of Yoruba Aesthetics Demonstrated in Relation to the Work of Babatunde Lawal and Rowland Abiodun : Book Project Announcement and Request for Donors

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

Aug 19, 2020, 1:16:01 PM8/19/20
to usaafricadialogue, Yoruba Affairs, nigerianworldforum, Politics Naija

                                                              unnamed.jpg

                                          The Intrinsic and Universal Significance of Yoruba Aesthetics

                                                              Demonstrated in Relation to the Work of

                                                                 Babatunde Lawal and Rowland Abiodun

                                                        Book Project Announcement and Request for Donors

                                   1-IMAGES2.jpg

Collage by myself of pictures of Babatunde Lawal, left, and Rowland Abiodun, right, used in evoking the fierce activity, the absolute concentration and reflective distillation through which these masters of research and writing have shaped an empire of knowledge in excavating into written scholarship aesthetic insights emerging from Yoruba civilization.

                                                                     Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

                                                                                                       Compcros

                                                                    Comparative Cognitive Processes and Systems

                                                       "Exploring Every Corner of the Cosmos in Search of Knowledge"

Project Rationale

One of the greatest achievements in African thought is represented by the explorations of Yoruba aesthetics individually undertaken by Rowland Abiodun and Babatunde Lawal.

Abiodun's work is vital for understanding the social context and epistemic and institutional imperatives of Lawal's work.

Lawal's publications complement Abiodun's explorations, demonstrating their further possibilities.

These scholars' contributions are recognised as seminal to understanding Yoruba aesthetics, in particular, and to the study of African aesthetics, in general.

The wealth of these achievements, however, is yet to be adequately examined, most of the essays by these figures representing various layers of unified  information and analysis that gives them the ideational density and the evocative range of books.

Their work also resonates far beyond the Yoruba and African contexts, facilitating an expansive grasp of aesthetics across the West and Asia, as is suggested by my essay "Theories and Practices of Cognition : Sense Perception and Metaphysical Integration in Western, Asian, Islamic and African Thought.''

Method of Execution

I plan to bring out three major books and possibly some smaller ones   in order to do justice to the scope of achievement demonstrated by the work of Lawal and Abiodun.

I intend  a presentation of all Abiodun's and Lawal's published works so far, including extracts from Lawal's The Gelede Spectacle: Art, Gender and Social Harmony in an African Culture.

This would integrate a detailed analytical response to each of their publications a collection of all overviews of their  work and  biographical essays situating each scholar's  life and work in the context of the development of African intellectual culture, a contextualisation amplified by accounts from people whom they have influenced directly or indirectly, such shaping encounters being strategic to their influence in their fields.

I expect one book each to contain all the published works of each scholar,  the detailed analysis of each work, along with the  biographical essay.

The third book would hold overviews of Abiodun's work, responses that have emerged relatively plentifully after he published Yoruba Art and Language : Seeking the African in African Art in 2014.

I shall be using social media, blogs and websites as workshops for the work in progress. I find these platforms invigorating on account of their openness and the freewheeling creativity they encourage. Using them will also be crucial to making the insights developed by the project accessible to as broad a public as possible, unlike the withdrawal of scholarship on African art to challengingly priced books sequestered in the exclusiveness of academia.

I am giving myself two years at most to complete the project.

Contact with Authors and Previous Publisher

I am in dialogue with Abiodun on the project. I am trying to reach Lawal. I have contacted Cambridge University Press who published Yoruba Art and Language and am awaiting a response.

Request for Donors

Donations will be welcome.

They will  contribute to travel expenses in order to correlate the ideas expressed by Abiodun and Lawal with first hand encounters with various aesthetic contexts, from visual and performative arts to natural forms, along with facilitating access to libraries and books.

The following blog link provides guidance for donors- Rowland Abiodun and Babatunde Lawal, Philosophers of Yoruba Art.

Work in Action on the Project

The initial stages of this project are represented by the following initiatives:

Exploring Rowland Abiodun Philosopher of Yoruba Art  ( website)

Previous Work of Mine on Babatunde Lawal and Rowland Abiodun

Earlier work of mine on Abiodun and Lawal is represented by:

An overview of Lawal's work, correlating it with the philosophy, spirituality and art of the Yoruba origin Earth and humanity centred Ogboni esoteric order.

A comparative exploration of three Yoruba cosmogonic narratives, enriched by a broad range of art from different parts of the world, images reinforced by correlative commentary by myself.

The essay was inspired by reading the first part of the first chapter of Abiodun's Yoruba Art and Language

Also published in