Start up stock options that were exercised in 2015 and in 2016 due to merger were worthless - dissenter's rights claim still in progress

fullofq...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2017, 6:53:18 PM4/8/17
Hello and thank you for reading my question. My wife and I are filling our 2016 taxes (federal and CA) and would like to know how to treat the following situation:

* I worked for company X until 2016 when it was merged into a larger company
* In May 2015 I exercised a bunch of options paying t $3,000 the first set and $5,000 for the second
* In June 2016 my company was merged into a bigger company and my options along with others were not paid out/became worthless.
* A group of ex colleagues and I filled a 'dissenter's rights' claim against the new company but that claim is still in progress

So,
1. Can I claim any kind of loss even though the dissenter's rights motion is in effect?
2. If so, how exactly can I claim the loss of the $3k and $5k

If you have any good info on this please share. Thanks!